Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Basically I want you to backup files you want to keep (word documents, pictures, songs, any other files...) except for programs. Leave those alone since if anything goes wrong, you will have to reinstall them.

We will not backup the restore points. We will try the Windows Repair after you have backed up your data. That shouldn't delete any files, but I want you to backup. You never know what can go wrong...

Advertisements

replica

replica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My other two hard drives have all the data on it, C: just has programs.

When i clicked Enter to Setup Xp on the selected partition another list came up.
1.Format the Partition using the NTFS File System (Quick).
2.Format the Partition using the NTFS File System.
3.Leave the current file system intact (No Changes)

Doesn't ask if I want to repair or not..

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Are you sure you don't see Repair Windows...when you insert the CD:

1. Boot from CD
2. Hit Enter to go into Setup
3. Hit F8 to agree with the license agreement
4. Select partition to repair and hit R

See this site for more information.

replica

replica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, I'm sure it doesn't say R for Repair...

I had a look at the site you mentioned.. It said If I didn't have to option to Repair, to click Warning #2, which led me to another two options and I was still unable to complete the tasks... I'm cursed

Maybe I should just go with a clean install... Maybe format and re-partition my main drive to just 1 partition and re-install windows xp..

Edited by replica, 03 November 2005 - 04:21 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's your call really. If you want to do this from a clean state, then the format is the best solution. Make sure you backup all your data first...this includes any bookmarks/favorites, emails from Outlook or Outlook Express, etc...You may leave programs alone since you will need to reinstall any program you want to have back. If you have data on the second partition, back them up also if you plan to repartition and merge them together.

Before you do that, can you try just one more thing? I want to be sure it's not a hardware issue. Right click on My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Device Manager and see if you can find any suspicious entries (yellow or exclamation mark entries...).

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Any other questions before I close this topic?

replica

replica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The only thing I found in Device Manager was "Other Devices" has a yellow Question mark with an Exclamation Mark in the middle of it (USB Controller)

Also under Network Adapters it has an X through
1394 Adapter
1394 Adapter #2

No other questions mate, thanks for all you help though, and I'll be sure to look through that Tutorial.
Hopefully my formatting goes off without a hitch.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It seems to be for a USB device...those Other Devices section can be hard to trace sometimes...

The X for those two 1394 (aka firewire) adapters most likely mean that they are disabled.

See how the formatting goes...

Topic closed.