Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Start menu kinda thing

• Please log in to reply

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
[size=4][b]Hey guys its been a while how u doin? Well heres my latest thing that has me kinda weirded out. I run XP SP2 and i click start, all programs, but when i move my mouse over any thing i have in the list, i doesnt highlight to select it, the mouse just moves over the items as if they werent there. Its kinda weirding me out, i have tried all my virus and spyware scans and nothing to report. Heard of this yet and if so, any good suggestions??(besides restarts which i have done with no change)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DarkLion357!

If you click on the items listed in ALL PROGRAMS do they open up?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Right click on the task bar, select PROPERTIES, click on the START MENU tab and then the CUSTOMIZE button. Now click on the ADVANCED tab, and make sure the checkbox is checked next to OPEN SUBMENUS WHEN i PAUSE ON THEM WITH MY MOUSE. Click OK and then APPLY and OK and you should be all set.

Fenor

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Fenor, i did all that and now it still doesnt highlight them but now when i click on one of my items anyway, it closes the start menu all the way back to the desktop as if i never clicked start to begin with,lol

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi DarkLion

Could you try and go
Start < Run and type scf /scannow this will give a blue bar and needs the XP CD. When it goes reboot. This will replace any files that might be corrupt and causing your problem.

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Mike
it says Windows cannot find that program or file(the red X thing). weird thing goin on huh? lol

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Did you put a space in? sfc<Space>/scannow

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Mike

It worked that time, i hit space twice by mistake. But anyway, the window popped up, windows file protection, it said wait while it checks, the status bar didnt fill up, the window went away, the pc slowed down for about 5 seconds, my norton said it was waiting for a v scan of some weird lookin log fil then......nothing. everything is the same still. all other programs i have open work fine but the start menu closes still when i try to click on an item in it. :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Well, you could try a Repair Install, but that might be over the top at this stage(you would have to reinstall all windows updates as well) but keep it there as a option

I am going to get a few of the other staff to have a look in and see of they know the answer.

EDIT: Justin segested that you might need to disable your Anti Virus while running sfc /scannow. If you don't know how just ask.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 14 October 2005 - 11:30 PM.

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah I have repair install sitting in my pc just for safe keeping. But thanks so far, its just one of those weird small things that largely annoy ya,lol

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I edited the post above just before you replied, have a look.

There is a difference between a repair install and the repair feature in you PC. Don't use it! it will put your PC back to how it was when you got it.

DarkLion357

DarkLion357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well I went ahead last night and tried that anyway with /scannow(disabling NAV) and nothing changed so i just got mad and rebooted, it fixed it,lol. I t seems like the start menu falls asleep and the only way to select anything is to restart windows. But I do thank you for the advice again guys, even the small problems need fixin,lol. Take Care