Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Themes

• Please log in to reply

Bruce Ri

Bruce Ri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have searched all the topics on this forum and looked other forums as well, but can't resolve my issue.

History:
I installed Bootmaster, didn't like it and uninstalled it. It required me to reboot and when I did I couldn't get into XP. Figured out that Bootmaster switched my partitions around, so I ran FDISK from a Win98 and switched partitioned back.

When I logged into XP the Classic view was the ONLY view available.

I searched these forums and did the exercises everyone commonly suggested.

I went to kellys-korner and replaced the files and registry entries, checked that services was started, verified group policies, and eventually did a system restore from CD.

Today:
Initially, I couldn't even change to the Luna themes, but then after the restore I can switch to Windows XP theme; however, when I log out/reboot/come back from standby the Classic view is back!

I should mention I have two accounts and the second account is fine. The first account was were I installed Bootmaster.

Can't figure out the problem here!!! Can anyone :tazz:!?

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Go to Start/Run and type sfc /scannow. You will need an XP CD, and have to reboot when it is finished. If this doesn't work, your account may be too corrupt, and you will have to make a new one and copy your files there.

Edited by Pi rules, 15 October 2005 - 09:22 AM.

Bruce Ri

Bruce Ri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well Pi rules, you rule!

I ran sfc /scannow and it did nothing for me. I created a new profile and copied the files over from the corrupt profile to the new one.

WHAT A PAIN, but worth it. Looks like all is well now and I learned another trick!

For those reading this post because of similar issues, read Microsoft's Knowledge Base article HERE before you correct a corrupt profile.

Remember to Export/Import all of your e-mail, rules, account settings before deleting the corrupt profile in order to import them into your new profile.

I would also advise performing a system backup before deleting the corrupt profile (my next task :tazz:).

Thanks again!

Edited by Bruce Ri, 15 October 2005 - 12:14 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
You're welcome!

Thanks for providing the very helpful link and reminders to anyone else with the same problem. :tazz: