Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive vanished from bios

• Please log in to reply

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Have just built a new PC with an Epox 8NPAJ socket 754 motherboard and a Sempron 3100+ 64 bit processor.
Everything worked fine initially, then after a few days the floppy drive was not recognised in the bios at boot. Reset the CMOS using the jumper and it came back.
Everything was at default except that the memory was set at 200MHz instead of 166 MHz which is the default speed. I am using 2 x 512MB double sided sticks.
Any thoughts on the reason for this.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I suggest checking the wiring to the floppy drive. Make sure all are properly wired and securely connected.

Oldjim

Oldjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes all the connections were correct.
As the problem has not reappeared since I set the memory to default (166MHz with 2 double sided sticks) I must assume that the memory controller on the CPU or the memory somehow messed up the cmos stttings of the motherboard.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I doubt the memory settings had anything to do with it but did you clear the cmos when you originally set the board up? If not it could have just been a bug that the cmos cleared up, also load the bios defaults to be sure everthing is set up.

Rick

Oldjim

Oldjim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did reset the cmos after a problem with the sata disc corruption and took everything back to default at that time.
I also got a reply from epox which said
“there could be some issue with the floppy disk or its compatibility with the super IO of the mainboard in this instance.”
But I didn’t understand that and a request for clarification was ignored.
Since there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this happening and it hasn't repeated itself probably the best thing would be to let it drop as a one-off odd error.
Thank you all for your responses.