Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to fix application path error?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I use the app Clone DVD and it works fine for awhile and then the proggy does not work.
I have Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier and thus do a check with One Button Check and it shows that there is an error :

"Refers to an invalid application path
C:\Program files\Elaborate Bytes\Clone DVD2\RegCloneDVD2exe.

The key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\RegCloneDVD2.exe

I click on Fix with the One Button Check and it is repaired and then the next time I go to use the proggy it won't work and I again do a One Button Check and again it repeats the same error.

How do I fix this permanently???
I am a Noob, so I hope that I don't have to go into the Registry.

The proggy worked well for several months and simply started doing this and I have made no changes and have no viruses or malware, our in house techie checks our systems out as I am a professional.
This is the only proggy that is acting up. I use the other proggy of Slysoft "Any DVD " and there are no problems.

I hope that someone can advise as to what I should do.
Thx for your time and I look forward to responses.
Respectful Regards,

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Internet lag caused dobble post.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 15 October 2005 - 07:47 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The first thing I would try is unistalling and reinstalling the program to see if that fixes it.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have already uninstalled, reg clean and reinstalled and no change.

I have been in a Clone DVD forum and was told to reinstall over top of the program and that made no change either.

The program works for awhile and then comes back with the application path problem.

Respectfully,

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Personally I don't think that it is a registry problem, but rather something is corrupt. Try going

Start < Run and type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. It need the XP CD so have the in your computer before you type it. This will fix all corrupt files.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
It indeed would be good if I could do this, however Toshiba notebooks only have a restore disc, which would bring me back to where my computer was in May 2003....brand new right out of the box!!!!
Doesn't sound like there is much i can do to correct this if the proggy is corrupt???
Respectful regards,

Edited by newbie geek, 15 October 2005 - 11:11 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you borrow a CD for the day, as long as you have the same service pack as what the CD dose it will work.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am not quite certain what you mean here??
My techie friend always told me that I was stuck with Toshiba in that there is not a seperate Windows OS disc and that solutions to any glitches that occurred to my notebook meant that I had to use the discs from the factory and there is no seperation of Windows from the other proggys.
Toshiba, he said making life difficult????
Respectful regards,

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What I am asking is, do you have a friend with a Windows XP CD that you can borrow so you can run sfc /scannow?

As long as it is the same service pack as you have it will work. Your techie friend is right, but I am trying to work around it the only way I know how, borrow some one else's Windows XP CD

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I use the app Clone DVD and it works fine for awhile and then the proggy does not work.

When you say "does not work" what exactly happens, do you get an error message?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\RegCloneDVD2.exe

The above key is for the Registration application for CloneDVD, so I don't think it should be causing the problem with CloneDVD itself, unless your CloneDVD is unregistered and its evaluation ran out.

Also I need your to check a value in the registry, follow the steps below:
Start -> Run
Type: regedit
Press <enter>

Goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\CloneDVD2.exe
Check if the value of (Default) is C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\CloneDVD2.exe, (where c: is the drive where cloneDVD was installed).

Advertisements

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Sorry that I have not replied sooner, however I wanted to see what Clone DVD2 was doing earlier and per usual, it had taken a bite for the dust.

What actually happens is it works like last night and no changes and then I try tonight again to do the following and I will do this in step form to keep it brief.

Although I should advise, that both Any DVD and Clone DVD2 are registered and I checked that out in the "about" portion of both proggys, just in case anything went awry there. But all is OK and they are registered and paid for by me.

This is what happens when the proggy does not work, like tonight...unlike last night; though it will work after I do a One Button Registry Scan and Fix that "Path" error that I indicated in the earlier post and One Button in my Norton Professional Systemworks Premier does its repair job!!!

This is what I do when I write a dvd and create a backup and run into problems.

1. Select Copy DVD titles
2. Use the drop down menu in the next window and show my External Burner that is
"F:/VIDEO_TS
3. Then I proceed throught the steps of the program, of course with my Any DVD enabled and my source Disc in Drive "F" , my external drive.
4. Then i get the error F:/VIDEO_TS
F:/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO unable to open file

And as well when in Title Configuration, and do the drop down menu.....where the "Quality" that normally shows the colours of green, yellow and red to indicate the %; "the area is all "greyed out". The preview of the source disc shows but "no" quality % value to observe.

And when I click on Next, I get the "OH NO!!!" sound and see the error:

"Creation of DVD files was not successful "

C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\Clone DVD2\eraser\PAL\VIDEO\ _TS|TSWTS_O\ _OIFO unable to open file

I have uninstalled, I have a copy of my key. and then reinstalled and I have also tried an install over top as was advised in another forum and none of these have resolved the problem.
Prior to doing this post I did a Norton Systemworks "One Button Check" and there Indeed was that past Path Error that I alluded to in my earlier post and I let the program Fix It and I then did a backup via Clone DVD2?????? and NO...."oh no" this time!! (I can't figure it out)

I have not had a chance yet to get to the Registry items described earlier in the last post but will do as soon as I can.
I thought that it was important to detail the circumstances when the proggy failed.

The notebook is clean from malware, viruses as our office in house Techie is responsible for all 14 of them.
The proggy worked at first and then after I bought it, i was fraught with this disaster.
That is why I uninstalled it and used my key as I thought something went wrong in the registration and yet both it and Any DVD show themselves as registered. Any DVD was purchased first and it works fine.

Thankyou for the interest and I hope that this helps in defining the exact nature of my problem.
I simply detest having to do a One Button Check each time I plan on using the program and don't believe that I should have to.

I look forward to comments and I will get to the registry checks as soon as I can.

Respectful Regards and Cheers! and HELP please :tazz:

Edited by newbie geek, 17 October 2005 - 09:12 PM.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I did the regedit check as was suggested Re:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE......etc. and found the following for Clone DVD2.

1. listed under "name" was (default), listed under "type" was REG_SZ and under "data" was (value not set)

2. listed under "name" was Affiliate, listed under "type" was REG_DWORD and under "data" was 0x00011ae4(72420)

3. listed under "name" was Install_Dir, listed under "type" was REG_SZ and under "data" was:
c:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\Clone DVD2

I should also say that I always when the program indicates "Oh No" I check "My Computer" to insure that the Source Disc is showing in my "F" external drive and it is.
I just thought that I would add that comment.

I hope this information is helpful.
Respectful regards,
:tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Weird :tazz: , some how the variables are being changed in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\CloneDVD2.exe

The value for (Default) should be C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\CloneDVD2.exe and there is another variable called Path which has a value of, C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\.
You will have to modify the registry to those values. I saw from your first post that you don't like messing with registry, would you like me or Michael to make a file for you that will automatically modify the registry for you?

Also, I am sorry to say but I did'nt really understand what you wrote in Post#11 :)

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hrm, though I do not fully understand what you meant in post #11, it sounds like a different problem than the directory...

It sounds like a driver issue or something routinely getting cofrrupted

I think it best to take Michael's advice and find out what version of Windows you have.

To do this, Right Click on <My Computer> and click <Properties>

This will bring up a Windows that has several tabs... The default tab (ie, the one that loads and shows first, namely <General>) is the one we are interested in

It should say something along the lines of

---System
----------Microsoft Windows XP
----------Professional
----------Version ####

---Registered to:
-----------your name
-----------your company
------------really long number

---Computer:
-------------CPU (e.g., AMD Athlon™XP 1600+)
-------------1.7GHz
-------------512MB of RAM

These are of course just the values of one computer... Yours will be differ slightly

The version of Windows, namely, the information under System is what you want

Find somebody with a disc matching your version of Windows, including service packs, ie, check build number or specific version number

And then proceed to scan your files per Michael's advice

That will stop any such problem as it sounds like you described...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I would try the registry fix first and then the sfc /scannow. I have made the a file that will do if automatically if you want it I will PM it to you. I have reread you first post, so I think now that this is the problem.