Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System reboots after a cold start

• Please log in to reply

jay3

jay3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: OK, when I start the computer up after it's been off for a bit, it loads everything up seemingly fine. Then, usually after a few minutes of running, it decides to reboot like a dump. After that, it loads up fine, & doesn't do it any more.

I did upgrade the power from 350 watts to 500 watts, no change. It seems to have started when I changed the heat sink a few weeks ago...factory one wasn't cooling the cpu as I desired. Now it's cooling much better, averaging no more than 109 fahrenheit in a warm house (AC died the other day), 102 when idle with AC working. It is over clocked a little from 100 to 117 on my AMD Athlon XP, which gets me to 1.44 GHz.

My suspicion is some bug has slipped past all my defenses: Windows Firewall, Norton 2005, Spybot S&D, Adaware with Ad Watch, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, Ewido 3.5, Trojanhunter with TrojanGuard, & Microsoft AntiSpyware. Everything is updated & run regularly. Ok, I'm legally paranoid...any ideas, suggestions?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

Try removeing the overclocking and see it that fixes it.

I would not have Ewido and Norton running at the same time because the will may conflict with each other.

Try to follow some of the proformance tweaks in Easy Xp Tweaks

If you think that you are infected please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

Hope this Helps.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 15 October 2005 - 06:44 PM.

jay3

jay3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, yes I did all the stuff on the malware forum first. I did as you suggested, dropped the CPU overclocking down a bit. I have it set at 112 now giving me 1.4GHz, & it has solved the problem.

What is strange to me is that the cpu was working at 1.6GHz before I had to get a new BIOS chip from Award-Pheonix (their flash killed the old chip). Now with the basic settings for the clock speed it's 100, but can be clocked up to 112 without it doing the reboot thing.

If I replace the cpu, will the BIOS recognize the new speed, i.e 2 to 3GHz? Will I have to replace the BIOS as well?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think you will have to replace the BISO if you get a new CPU I have never heard of some one haveing to do it before. It will work fine.

jay3

jay3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, thanks so much for your help! :tazz: