Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers

• Please log in to reply

ronnysaad

ronnysaad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am looking for drivers for my ATAPI 16x DVD-ROM drive, can anyone help?

I have tried looking through driverguide.com, and only found a 1.1MB package to download. When I try installing the software that's in it, it says "This CD Xpress requires BTC's CD-ROM Drives".

I need some genius' help ! :tazz:

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
That's quite unusual, the drivers are supposed to be intrinsic to XP, perhaps your system files became corrupted somehow? While I personally can't help you in this matter, I will note that ATAPI is a generic standard, those who can help you are likely to require the exact model and firmware revision.

This information should be available from the BIOS auto-detect, failing that (in order to save time) I suggest that you crack your case and get the info from the sticker that should be on the CDROM itself.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Kurt Aust is right, atapi dvd drivers are built into windows. If you can see the DVD drive in windows (e.g My Computer) and it can read a standard CDROM disc, then the generic drivers are probably fine.

Certain software applications may require addition drivers though in order to use the DVD functionality of the drive. Which software are you trying to use for playing DVDs on?

ronnysaad

ronnysaad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey there samm well yea I can see the CD ROM in the Device Manager with its name but it cannot even play an ordinary CD.

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

hey there samm well yea I can see the CD ROM in the Device Manager with its name but it cannot even play an ordinary CD.

:tazz:

Can you see the DVD drive in My Computer as well as Device Manager?
If so, when you insert a standard CD into the DVD drive, what happens? Do you get any error message?

ronnysaad

ronnysaad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yes I can see it in my computer as well as in the device manager.
when I insert a CD, the DVD ROM doesn't detect it. No errors. I double click the DVD ROM icon in my computer, says "Insert a CD"...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Looks like a physical problem with that drive then if it isn't picking up any discs. No driver you install will alter the fact that the laser inside the CD unit can't read the disc.

It'll work out far quicker to just replace the drive IMO.

elpaw

elpaw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm getting this same problem as described by ronnysaad, although maybe for a different reason.

I just got myself a new SATA HDD and installed windows on it. (I used to have just IDE). I've looked up the DVD drive in the Device Manager, and instead of saying "ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X" as it used to do, it is now called "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device". Could this be the problem? It's not meant to be a SCSI device.

Anyway, does anyone know where this driver could be downloaded?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G elpaw

I think I know what the reason is behind the re-labeling of your DVD drive, but first could you start your own topic please so we don't get confused by helping a different people in the same topic.

Thanks
Samm

elpaw

elpaw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Welcome to G2G elpaw

I think I know what the reason is behind the re-labeling of your DVD drive, but first could you start your own topic please so we don't get confused by helping a different people in the same topic.

Thanks
Samm

Sorry, I thought I'd reply to this thread as I'm also looking for the ATAPI 16x DVD-ROM drive, the original intent of this message.

TiredPC

TiredPC

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Looks like a physical problem with that drive then if it isn't picking up any discs. No driver you install will alter the fact that the laser inside the CD unit can't read the disc.

It'll work out far quicker to just replace the drive IMO.

I am having the same problem. I've never had a problem with my Lite-On CD-RW its 40X. Its been working fine for the last couple years, burning/reading disks. Last week I tried to read a disk and it did not detect it.

Same problem, it shows as "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device" in device manager with (2) Nero Image drives under DVD/CD Rom Drives. Also I have two DVD-ROM drives in "My Computer". With a disk in the drive, nothing happends, it doesnt read and ask you to "... insert disk..."

I am quoting your post because I know its not just the drive... I just tried to install a brand new NC-3540A (NEC 16X DVD burner).

Anyone else have any clues... I rather try something before doing system restore... or wiping out the HDD, which I may do soon enough anyways. I just bought a 250GB Lacie external USB for $120 from buy.com

Anyone else have this problem? Ideas? Thanks... btw, this is my first post on this forum!

TiredPC

TiredPC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
... I figure it out... I unplugged the power from a HDD that was connected to the same IDE cable as the CD-RW... The HDD was the slave, and the burner was the master (as I was told burners should be set at).

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue! Simple mistake.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i was having the same problem like u last time. But, thats happen straight after i install the windows xp. i test my drive by putting the windows xp cd and boot the cd b4 entering windows xp and the drive works fine. So, i guess if u are having the same prob, it might be the OS prob. i formated my comp again and it works fine now.