Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows, Mac OS X and Intel

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
When apple switch to intel chips will it be possiable to install xp on say a ibook then boot between mac os x and windows?

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
actually you can already do that on the regular mac chips - i've seen one person at a print production plant switch from linux to oS X TIGER to windows XP with a simple reboot

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I think you might be able to install Windows on a Mac, but not Mac OS on a Windows machine:

...raises the possibility of new, affordable Apple computers that could boot both Mac OS X and Windows.

"Apple will not do anything to prevent it,"...If you're hoping to load Mac OS X on an existing Windows PC, though, you'll be disappointed. Apple has made it clear that the Mac OS will install only on Mac hardware.

See this PC World article for details.

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
oh actually i think you're right - i've only seen multiple OS on macs

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

i've only seen multiple OS on macs

You can install Linux on either one, but I believe that Windows will only be able to be installed on Macs (although Microsoft may have something to say about it), while Tiger won't be able to be installed on non-Macs, according to Steve Jobs.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
why would you want to install windows on a mac!

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well mainly ankush patel because I'm a teenager so I'm poor and havn't got the money to re buy microsoft office, photoshop and a load of games. That's if the games even work on mac os x.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Dual booting has many benefits. You don't have to switch from room to room (or computer to computer if they're in the same room), you can learn how to use more than one OS without buying several PCs, and like It b0ngo said, you can just reboot and start the other OS to use it's applications instead of buying all them over again for the other OS.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Just a thought though is it possiable and if it is how hard it it to run windows xp with just one mouse click since the ibook only has one button?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I have a 5-button mouse, so I love using all the buttons for different things. XP made it a lot easier to get around without right-clicking, and puts many of the options previously availble only by right-clicking or digging through a ton of stuff right out in the open. It may be hard to get used to with only one button, but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Advertisements

john000

john000

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
There is only 1 version of Windows I know of that will work on a Mac,and that is Windows NT 4.0.There are few games that will work for a version of Windows on a PowerPC.

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
actually many people think that macs only use one-click mouses

it's misconception - just plug a different mouse in with left/right click and you get left and right click properties on screen

if you have the one-click, to get the right click you have to hold Control and click

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is an interesting topic. I looked up the Xenix operating system on Wikipedia, this was an early Unix based predeccesor of Windows, and found that mac operating systems were Unix/Linux based, such as X-windows. At one type Bill Gates thought that the Unix based systems would win over the dos based systems, but squabbles over copyrights slowed their developement just enough to let the dos based OS's take over.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thinking about it couldn't someone release a patch so that when your running windows (if you can when they switch) the button is left click and the touchpad is right click?

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
The way thiese Mac guys are able to run this XP or 2000 os is because they run it like a game ... in simplist form .... Then they can install stuff on it. From what i hear it is very unstable and doesn't get very much praise about it.