Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey everyone I just have a few questions about upgrading my computer. The thing is, I am already running the Windows XP Home Edition OS on it. It was problems from here to there and I've been to this site many times to fix them but I, and other experts on the site, have come to the conclusion that it should be reformatted and just start clean to get rid of everything. I'm just wondering if I'll have any problems. If I get a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade disk, do I just put it in after I've logged in like any other program or is there something different I must do like put it in in safe mode or something crazy like that. If I use the Upgrade disk, will it permanently delete everything on the computer and re-install XP so it's clean? That is what I'm hoping for. I know all the junk about how I'll have to update my drivers and everything (which I'm actually not gonna do because I have all the installation disks for things like that). Pretty much I just want to know if it will do everything for me by just putting the disk in like any other installation or will I have to first format the disk. Also for things that came with the tower (DVD player, CD-RW burner, Floppy Drive), will those already be installed or am I going to have to find something online to install them. My hunch is that they should install automatically. One last thing: I use a router for my DSL connection so every computer is connected via ethernet. I remember when I first got this I had to install something onto the computer. Maybe I'm wrong on that one actually I just want to make sure it will work. It is a LinkSys router. Should I unplug the ethernet cable during the installation of Windows? I'm pretty sure if I just pop it in afterwards it will detect it. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You have to boot from the CD, normaly you have to enter the BIOS by pressing the Del key and changeing the boot order so it boots from the CD. I would unplug the internet before you format and not put it beck in till you have install your AntiVirus Program.

If you need more help just ask.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
So I have to boot from the cd. Does that mean while I'm turning the computer on I throw the disk in really quickly before it starts up? Also, I'm buying a new Upgrade disk but would there be any advantages/disadvantages to using to old registration key that's on the sticker on my computer or would it be better to use the new one, or is there no difference at all?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Should be no differance.

You put the CD in and the restart your computer.

Hope this helps

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
While you are changing the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save the changes, put the XP CD in, then type Y to confirm then press enter, it will reboot, look for press any key to load from CD