Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hang on Video Playback

• Please log in to reply

jwt015

jwt015

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My computer refuses to playback video files... .wmv, .mpg, .avi...you name it, it won't play it.

When I attempt to open a video file, it will open windows media player. It will say "Opening Media", and then slowly eat up all of my cpu until I'm running at 100% cpu and my system is unresponsive.

I have also tried quicktime movie with the exact same result.

I have run ad-aware, hijack-this, rkfiles, and silent runners. Clean.

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

This is often caused by corrupt files, the good thing is corrupt files are easy to fix. Go

Start < Run and type Sfc /scannow (please not the space between the c and the /) this will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. This will need the Windows Xp CD so have that in your computer before you type sfc /scannow. When this is completed all corrupt files will have been replaced.

jwt015

jwt015

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, that did not work. I have also uninstalled windows media 10, and quicktime. Still doesn't work.

Keep in mind, it did work a week or so ago...

Is it possible installing directX.9.0c would cause this? I wouldn't know how to fix this.

How about bad video drivers? I've tried a new update to the video drivers..didn't help.

Edited by jwt015, 17 October 2005 - 09:31 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can you do
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
and find what process it useing up all your CPU?

Directx.9.0c might have caused it, anything can cause anything on computers. Do you have a restore point that you can go back to?

I am active right now, so will reply quickly.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 17 October 2005 - 09:36 PM.

jwt015

jwt015

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry for not clarifying earlier. wmplayer is eating up the cpu. It's not a memory leak issue, as it only uses ~2 MB of RAM when it hangs.

I will try a restore point. Previous attempts failed, but I didn't go back before directx.

Thanks.

jwt015

jwt015

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The restore point didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Repair Install ?

jwt015

jwt015

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sweet. It worked. Although I knew how to do this, perhaps I was looking for a reason for the microsoft madness...in the end, it's all about the reinstall.

Thanks again!