Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

What's a good processor?

• Please log in to reply

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
There are AMD Athlon 64 motherboards out there that take AGP video cards. If you got one of those you could still keep your video card. What is your videocard? Because they won't be making any new AGP cards. The new ones coming out are all PCI-E.

Advertisements

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

There are AMD Athlon 64 motherboards out there that take AGP video cards. If you got one of those you could still keep your video card. What is your videocard? Because they won't be making any new AGP cards. The new ones coming out are all PCI-E.

AGP Device [Video Card]nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

I take it that its a AGP card. Do most companies make PCI-E now?

PS: Is my video card any good now anyways?

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 28 October 2005 - 06:46 PM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Well, if you want, you could buy a pre-built one from voodoo or perhaps Alienwere perhaps, but i'd recomend build one to get the most bang for your buck, you would probly need a new case and PSU too, so, for between $800-$1000 would be

CPU-AMD 64 3500+ 939 $219.99
Motherboard-Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard $124.99
RAM-Viking Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 X 512MB) $94.99
Video Card-XFX GeForce 7800 GTX / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card $474.99

all prices takes from tiger direct, total comes to $916.96 before shipping. and with that motherboard, at a later date you can buy a 2nd video card (has to be the exact same one, or a pair of new ones) and hook them up in SLI mode, you will be flying with this computer. All you need to find is a case and a PSU for it, if you wanna spend alittle less, let me know.

Edited by goladith, 29 October 2005 - 12:04 AM.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Well, if you want, you could buy a pre-built one from voodoo or perhaps Alienwere perhaps, but i'd recomend build one to get the most bang for your buck, you would probly need a new case and PSU too, so, for between $800-$1000 would be
CPU-AMD 64 3500+ 939 $219.99
Motherboard-Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard $124.99
RAM-Viking Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 X 512MB) $94.99
Video Card-XFX GeForce 7800 GTX / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card $474.99

all prices takes from tiger direct, total comes to $916.96 before shipping. and with that motherboard, at a later date you can buy a 2nd video card (has to be the exact same one, or a pair of new ones) and hook them up in SLI mode, you will be flying with this computer. All you need to find is a case and a PSU for it, if you wanna spend alittle less, let me know.

PSU stand for? Heh. How much does a PSU and a case cost? And how big would the base be? Because I could use my current case, couldn't I?

Now I Wouldn't want to build it myself or I would screw it up so bad. If I got these parts, would any computer places build it for me probably?

PS: Is there maybe a cheaper video card but still runs awesome and can do the duel thing? And sweet I already got two memory sticks, so that will knock off 100 bucks!

And what does PCI Express slot hold? It looks like a video card thing, but I don't think it is, because the motherboard already has a video card slot.

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 29 October 2005 - 12:24 PM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
your old memory will not work in this system, and if it does it will drag the computer down. But you can get a decent case a PSU (power supply) for less then $100, but PCI-Express is video card. It is the new norm for video cards. Well, computers are easy to put togather yourself, they have many guides on the internet, and the instruction books are great that they come with.I only seggested that card so you wouldn't have to upgrade for a while, and that it woks great in SLI mode if you wanna buy a 2nd card when the prices come down some more.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
well, here is an inexpanive case $39.99

i'd recomend a slightly more powerful power supply though, atleast a 500 watt this one is 550 watts, but it is the same price as the 500 watts $49.99.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
Why wouldn't my memory work? My memory is DDR DIMM stuff.

And wouldn't I have to buy a CD drive?

And If I bought all those items, wouldn't I still need a hard drive?

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 29 October 2005 - 04:26 PM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
do you already have a CD drive? if so, you don't need to, and how big is your current hard drive? and your old ram will just be way to slow for it

Edited by goladith, 29 October 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

do you already have a CD drive? if so, you don't need to, and how big is your current hard drive? and your old ram will just be way to slow for it

Okay, but I don't see why my old ram would slow it down....

Yes, I have a CD drive so cool! And I don't know exactly how to find how big my hard-drive so I looked on my disk defragment thing(lol) and it said its (C:) Capacity: 18.64 GB.

Is that it? Hope so.

PS: The greater the MHz for memory the better?

cheers for now.

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 29 October 2005 - 11:12 PM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
ok, well, just go in to my computer, and then just select your hard drive, don't open it, and on the left it will say how much is free out of the total, but you would probly be find with that HDD for now, till you have more money to buy an addition drive, but they are cheap. But yea, the ram in your current computer will do nothing but slow it down, sorry to say. this computer has PC3200, and the stuff you got is probly PC133 or something like that.

Advertisements

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

ok, well, just go in to my computer, and then just select your hard drive, don't open it, and on the left it will say how much is free out of the total, but you would probly be find with that HDD for now, till you have more money to buy an addition drive, but they are cheap. But yea, the ram in your current computer will do nothing but slow it down, sorry to say. this computer has PC3200, and the stuff you got is probly PC133 or something like that.

Is your hard drive the C: drive for most? If it is, 18.6 GB total, cheers.

Ya, I looked at the hard drives on tigerdirect 300 GB's for around 100 dollars? :tazz:

PS: Does that case you recommended have back UBS slots? I didn't see anything on that information.

Edited by BillyBobJunior, 30 October 2005 - 10:47 AM.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
the rear USB slots are on the motherboard.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I wouldnt buy an alienware because if you build a custom pc yourself you can build one faster for half the amount it would cost at alienware.

You pay for the alienware name.

Example, if they had a $4,500 machine you can build it yourself for half the amount and even faster.

If you have the money to buy a top end alienware and you dont know how to build pc's then go for it.

You can build a great pc for $2,000 with top of the line everything out now. Even a 7800 gtx video card in the pc.

:tazz:

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

I wouldnt buy an alienware because if you build a custom pc yourself you can build one faster for half the amount it would cost at alienware.

You pay for the alienware name.

Example, if they had a $4,500 machine you can build it yourself for half the amount and even faster.

If you have the money to buy a top end alienware and you dont know how to build pc's then go for it.

You can build a great pc for $2,000 with top of the line everything out now. Even a 7800 gtx video card in the pc.

:tazz:

I hate Alienware just to let people know....

I don't know how to build a computer, but I think I could figure out how, I am pretty good with putting things together....

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*

Guest_BillyBobJunior_*
Oh and what about a sound card??