Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Out of Frequency

• Please log in to reply

ruger44

ruger44

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a random shut down problem. While I am no IT guy, I am wondering if it may be related to the power supply, video card, or monitor. Sometimes it happens a few times in a couple of hours and sometimes it will not happen for a week or two.

I can be listening to live streaming radio via Windows Media Player and surfing the net. Suddenly the monitor will go black but the WMP will still be streaming sound.

I am running Spybot and Road Runners' firewall/ Anti Virus/ Pest Control. I installed a new HD about 5 months ago thinking that it was the problem. Nope.

Error that pops up
Posted Image

Then this pops up
Posted Image

I have to re-boot and go through this...
Posted Image

Wait for this...
Posted Image

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for updated video adapter drivers

Check the maximum resoltion for the monitor

Check the maximum refresh rate of the monitor

ruger44

ruger44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I searced for driver updates at Windows.com but I did not find any. When I get home I will try and figure out how to check the other things you mentioned. Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for Display / Video Adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Right click the desktop then properties, settings to change the resolution and colour quality, click apply if you change anything, click advanced then monitor to adjust the refresh rate, click apply if you change anything

ruger44

ruger44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
We I updated the driver for the video adaptor and this thing is running faster than ever. Time will tell if the problem has been resolved. I can not thank you guys enough.
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know