Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC will not boot up... even in SAFE mode- HELP!

• Please log in to reply

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I try and boot up my PC (I have more than one, hence I'm able to access the net!) it brings up the following error message:

Services.exe - application error

The application failed to respond (0vc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I click 'OK', the message appears again, I click 'OK' again and then.... nothing! The screen just remains blank. It makes no difference whether I start in 'safe mode', 'last known configuration that worked' or 'start windows normally'.

The last thing I did before I shut down my PC (when it was working fine) was install SKYPE... so maybe it has something to do with that?

I use AVG and have back-up floppy discs (although they're months old)... will I be able to use these to get my system up and running again?

Please help- I'm a singer/songwriter and while most of my work is backed up I will lose a lot of software that I will be unable to replace unless I spend a lot of cash!

Thanks,

Steve :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How to Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

Try here

XP Repair Install

Or here

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Keith...

But unless I'm missing something or not following your directions properly, I still have the same problem.

I tried pressing F8 as soon as the machine starts up but it takes me to the same screen saying that Windows has failed to start properly and gives me a choice of modes to start in. I chose 'safe mode with command prompt' but the same error panel:

Services.exe - application error

The application failed to respond (0vc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

appears and nothing happens, whether I click OK or not... If I press 'del' it brings up the BIOS menu. Can I do anything from here?

Steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can change it to boot from CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save changes, insert the XP CD, type Y to confirm then press enter, look for press any key to load from CD then carefully follow the repair instructions from the links in post 2

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Unfortunately, XP came preloaded on my PC... I don't have the XP CD, although I may be able to get my hands on one.

Is this my best shot?

S

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, the Alternative repair makes no mention of the CD Key

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Brilliant.. Thanks Keith.

I should be able to get my paws on a CD from work tomorrow. Fingers crossed that'll sort it.

S

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would need to be the same version as you have installed, most likely Home Edition

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all...

Having had a conversation with an ex work colleage, getting my hands on an XP disc is going to be pretty trickey.

What he doesn't understand is why the machine will not open succesfully in safe mode. As I understand it, this boots up windows with the fewest possible applications etc...

Which leads me to wonder- what is the application 'services.exe' and is there any way I can boot the machine without Windows trying to start it, as that's where the problem seems to lie.

Anyone know? :tazz:

terminallysteve

terminallysteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all...

Having had a conversation with an ex work colleage, getting my hands on an XP disc is going to be pretty tricky.

What he doesn't understand is why the machine will not open succesfully in safe mode. As I understand it, this boots up windows with the fewest possible applications etc...

Which leads me to wonder- what is the application 'services.exe' and is there any way I can boot the machine without Windows trying to start it, as that's where the problem seems to lie.

Anyone know? :tazz:

Edited by terminallysteve, 20 October 2005 - 10:50 AM.