Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer on right click

• Please log in to reply

Driest

Driest

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Whenever i right click on a file or folder the windows isntaller pops up seems to run for a minute or so then disapears. event viewer logged the following System events:
1) Windows Installer service entered the stopped state
2) Windows installer service was successfully sent a start control
3) The server {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-00000000046} did not register with DCOM withing the required timeout

of course {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-00000000046} is the windows installer

I am also getting a bunch of application warnings in the event viewer about symantec antivirus trying to install something looking for the file dec2.dll

I tried uninstalling symantec anti-virus, but i get the error: The windows installer service could not be accesssed.

Ive also tried installing the latest windows installer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

This was one of the many reason that I got rid of Norton Anti Virus it dose cause this problem, and is not the only Symantic program that dose. My advice would be to uninstall it and never let it near you computer again. For an Anti Virus I recommend AVG personal edition. There is a link in my signature as well as a lot of other good links.

The service error is easy to fix, just start the service.
Start < run type services.msc
Find "Windows Installer"
right click it and press "start"

If you still what to stick with Norton I will try to help you fix the error but I can tell you that is will not be easy to do.