Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble - kinda weird

• Please log in to reply

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just found Nero 6 at softwareoutlet.com for $1.99. Does that sound realistic to you? I can't find a trial version anywhere. I'm downloading UBCD right now.

Advertisements

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I found the trial.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for Nero

http://www.nero.com/...emoversion.html

You need parts 1 and 2

Could be 1.99 it is 77 cents here

I blagged this from one of Fenor's posts

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=297

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
This is what it says on the page you sent me to.

Nero 6 Reloaded
Important notice:
This is NOT a DEMO-Version!
If you don't have a valid serial number of Nero 6 please don't download this packages!

Where did you see it for 77 cents?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press Demo during install

Saw it in the United Kingdom, bit too far to travel maybe

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm done for now. I just bought the [bleep] Nero disc. I'll take care of this stupid computer when it gets here. It seems to be working fine for now.

I have no doubt I'll be back here some day. I'm gonna go to a a movie. I don't think I can mess that up to bad. :tazz:

By the way, after you install Nero from that page you gave me, and you do the demo thing, it says your demo has expired.

I appreciate your help.

David

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for telling me about the demo, odd that it is described as a free trial

When the disc gets there you can use it to make the CDR to boot from

The tacktech link shows how

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm back Keith. I'm still having trouble. I bought the Nero program. I made an ISO image and burned it to the disc using Nero's boot disc feature. I reboot my computer and let it boot from disc. I've done it twice now with different ubcd downloads (different locations) and they are both written in Russian or German or something. They start out in English but when they get to the menu they change. (I chose the English option) I'm going to try it once more but my question is, am I supposed to download the harddrive manufacturer's program as well or is that what the ubcd program is for? And if I am supposed to use ubcd along with the manufacturer's program, am I supposed to burn the manufacturer's program to the same disc as the ubcd program or am I supposed to be able to find it in DOS mode?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get it from here

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4019

Create a folder, save it to the folder, after it downloads, click run, then run, then extract, after it extracts to the folder you created, open Nero, select make data CD, click Nero on the bottom to open ISO Image burning, click file then new then open, locate and select the file, (which is ubcd33-basic, is 124MB, has two interlinked CD's as its symbol)

Click burn then done when finished, close Nero, boot the PC you want to use it on, keep pressing the delete key until it enters set up, look for boot priority and set it to boot from the CD ROM Drive then the hard drive, press F10 to save the change, then type Y to confirm, open the CD ROM Drive, insert the UBCD disc, press enter and it will reboot

Press F2 on the screen, press the right arrow until you see hard disc wiping, page 5/5. Press F1 to use autoclave then follow the instructions, you will need to type I understand. with the full stop

Choose between 1 and 5, 5 takes the longest, 8 hours.

When it completes, remove the UBCD from the drive, insert the XP CD, press the reset button, look for press any key to load from CD then follow the instructions for a fresh install, make sure it is formnatting with NTFS, full, not quick, and the partition being created is Raw1 new on C. If it isn't, press the reset button and you will need to press D to delete the partition it started on, then type L to confirm, then it will be formatting to C

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Keith...this isn't working. Here's some of the stuff on the page at my first option the computer gives me to do anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Options:
/MLX
/BL=16
/Lend=On
/Delay=Off
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
[DR-DOS] A:\> (This is the first place I have to type anything. I can change the drive and do a couple commands ("dir", "command", "?") but that's it.

F2 takes me to my system setup. F1 does nothing. Delete does nothing. I've typed in Autoclave but it does nothing either. I've never been able to get a menu giving me any options. I tried with the ubcd ISO about 7 times and got the same thing every time. I thought that German/Russian stuff was the ubcd program but I just tried it with the Western Digital program and I got the exact same thing so that German/Russian thing apparently isn't the ubcd program.

This is getting really frustrating. I have another hard drive at my house and I suppose I could install it, install my OS on it and erase my other drive from within windows with the WD program but that would be a major pain in the [bleep]. Can you think of anything else?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can remove the problem drive, use the same connections to install the new drive and install the OS, then install the problem drive as the slave drive then transfer any data you need from it to the master drive then clear the problem drive

If the PC is set to boot from the CD ROM Drive with UBCD in the drive then this is what you will, (should), get

[attachment=4533:attachment]

Pressing F2 then takes you to hard drive tools and pressing the right arrow takes you through pages 1 - 5, 5 is the one with autoclave on

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Never could get that screen to come up. It went straight to the drive letter in DOS and nothing I typed in would make that come up. No mattter...I did it the long way using both of my drives and erasing them from within windows. Everything is working good (for now). Thanks for your help. I do have a question though. Is there an easy and safe way to change my boot screen and log-on screen? This isn't super important but I would like to know. If not...no biggy.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you want to change them to

NunyaBus

NunyaBus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've seen a couple of sites (belchfire - that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head), that have some cool boot screens and log-on screens. Just different pictures. Look at belchfire and you'll see. I tried once but that is what started this whole mess that I just got fixed. I'm not gonna try again unless there is a very safe way to do it. It's really no big deal. Just wantin' to tweak my computer that's all.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's not something I have bothered with

I will ask a couple of the other Trusted Techs if they have a good way of doing this

I should hear from them later this evening, (12 hours from now) and will ask them to reply here