Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start Win 98 from start menu

• Please log in to reply

Bert Schutte

Bert Schutte

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - I have tried to load Windows 98 SE over an existing version of Win 98. However the install terminated when I could not produce the 25 character alpha-numeric code. Each time I switch on the computer it shows, Windows 98 Setup Wizard, when click on next it asks for Windows product key, which I can't show as I no longer have it, and can't excess the 25 characters because I cannot start the computer from the start menu.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The setup wizard is asking for the Windows 98SE CD key (not the key for for the previous version). Beats me why you attempted to install 98SE without having it's product key.

Edited by pip22, 19 October 2005 - 06:35 AM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Are you installing Win98se over the top of Win98se or Win98?

Are you locked out of Safe Mode too?

If you can get it to boot up in Safe Mode your original product key is located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductID

Click on Start - Run type in Regedit click on the + next to each until Current Version then click on the file.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bert Schutte...

I don't know if we can help with this or not.

Do you have a Startup Disk? You should have been prompted to create one during the installation of Win98SE. If you don't, you can download This One . Once downloaded, double click the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted. This will create a Startup disk for you.

Put the Startup disk into the machine you wish to start, and restart. When you get to the Options Screen, press F5 for command prompt...You will see the prompt A:\. Type C: and press "Enter" At the C:\ prompt, type Windows\command\scanreg /restore (note the space after scanreg) and press "Enter". If this works, you will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" (files) of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

Hopefully, this will restore your machine to it's previous state...providing the new installation did not overwrite the files we need.

Let us know if this works for you...

wannabe1