Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help on changing ip

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
im not too sure if im static or dynamic... however whenever i unplug and replug back my isp's connection, i get a new ip... however, it takes 6 mins before i can gain access to the internet... so im wondering if there is another way of changing ip without plugging in and out...

im using a router btw...

Advertisements

dhnish

dhnish

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi

Are you on broadband?

As far as i know, if new ip's are generated when logged in than it means you are using dynamic ip address. Its given by your ISP.

Thank you and have a nice day

Yours in service
dhnish

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You are only half correct there dnish. You are correct about when you logon that if the IP address changs then it is Dynamic IP address, but the IP address that he is getting is not from is ISP but from the Router. Now inite unplug the network cable from the Modem that is going to the Router, and plug it straight in to the computer to see if you get internet access quicker. If you do reply back letting me know. Hope that this helps.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, ya im on broadband...

i suppose im dynamic then.. but is there aother way of changing ip on my comp which is on router? the only way it seems it to unplug and replug it back which takes 6 mins before i can get access to the net... im playing a certain game and i've only 5 mins to to that... so im gonna need help on changing the ip within 5 mins .. thx

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
sorry just saw ur post DHooper when i posted.. cant seem to find the edit button... i'll try unplugging the wire that connects to my router and post back in like an hour time... i cant unplug atm... however if it does get back quick, i doubt the ip will be change , no?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
incase anyone was wondering, i still need help...

had a live chat with DHooper earlier and the problem still exists...

thx tho DHooper =)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is here. You turn the pc on and you have to unplug the ethernet cable in order to receive an IP address? Are you trying to get a different "Public" IP from your ISP or a different "Local" IP from your router? If you click "Start", "Run", type cmd and click ok. Now type ipconfig /release and hit enter. Next type ipconfig /renew and hit enter. You will release your IP and also obtain a new one.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
that doesnt work for me atm... u see, im playing this game diablo 2... whenever i get realm down, i'll have to change ip... otherwise, i'll not be able to log in, as it tracks my ip address... so when i replug the wire that connects to the modem... this is the only way i have found out which i can change my ip... /release and /renew doesnt help =/

and im on a router btw... however i suppose i should only change the ip from the modem and not the router ...

feel free to ask wadever ur unclear of.. thx =)

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I don't quite understand also, why do you have to change your IP after you download a realm for Diablo 2. what do you mean by "you can't log in" is that to the game server and they always track your IP?? :tazz:

If you ipconfig \release \renew, you will be receiving a new ip addy from the router and not from your ISP, the router will act as your cp and be a go between your cp and the broadband modem.

so when i replug the wire that connects to the modem... this is the only way i have found out which i can change my ip...

This will cause the broadband modem to loose connection to your ISP, almost complete another POST when the cable is connected again, which is why it is taking so long, it does have to reconfigure itself, speak with DNS, authenticate to the ISP....yadda, yadda, yadda. Just almost the same as unplugging the power cord.

I think we need more info to help you figure this out. Does not make sense that you can download the realm but cannot log in or play because of your IP addy. ;)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ah.. ok

realm down is part of diablo 2, which forbides u to continue playing the game as u created games at a fast rate. realm down prevents users from logining to diablo 2. it normally takes 10 mins , or at times, 10 hours before this "temporary" ban is gone.

realm down = temporary ban

it basically bans the ip that created fast games... and the only way to aviod the wait time is to replug my modem... which i suppose changes my ip address... so im wondering if theres another way which i can do it instead of repluging in, since it takes too long...

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
bump plz

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Bunp the subject, for what?? Not being able to connect, getting an IP ban, this is what I have found on other games forums and it sounds logical, this makes online gaming more enjoyable to everyone and not having to worry about some of the nasties out there.

Posted by: Military

Alright, Whenever I would play D2 LOD ... I got that message because when i'm transfering .. I like to go through my characters too fast and I would flood the server. If you join / create games waaaay too fast .. B.net thinks that you are flooding it so they kick you for like 15 min .... I would suggest try reconnecting or just waiting for like 30 min or however long it is ... if you keep trying to join b.net you will just have to wait longer ... also don't swtich chars / join / create games so fast .... that's the best information i can give you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: NegotiatorSmith

Military is correct, this error comes up when you perform some kind of "spammy" behavior, such as trying to transfer too fast. It may also come up if you join/make many games in a row very quickly. It's simply a temporary IP ban.

Also, disable/uninstall any third-party programs you may have installed, such as maphack; they will also cause this error.

I would not worry about this, what is is what is.....There is not much you can do, there is no options for a cable moden, it is set by a config file that the modem asked for when it authenticates its MAC addy to the ISP servers, no way to change this or speed it up. Case Closed.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
its not that... bans doesnt stay for 10-15 mins like stated, its 24 hours and at times, longer... so a change of ip is needed nevertheless...

bump for? for bringing up the post.

i suppose i might need to try other places for help.. thx

joeyabs

joeyabs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just out of curiousity, are you using a DI-604 D-link router, if you are get rid of it because these routers a notorious for flooding out cable modems. I work for a cable company as a service tech and see it everyday.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
thx for the advice.. im using smc's router =/

Any advices on smc's router? way to change ip btw.