Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer problem

• Please log in to reply

Dsypher

Dsypher

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

When I go to "My Computer" and then double click on a HDD drive, it opens the Windows File and folder search instead of opening the drive i.e. showing its contents. :)

:tazz:

Thanx

Edited by Dsypher, 19 October 2005 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you right click on My Computer and click on Open do you get the same result?

Dsypher

Dsypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
No.. it works perfectly ven I do it dat way.. How can I remove unwanted context menu items which I get ven I right click on a drive.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Lets see if we can fix the search opening problem first, then I will help remove the unwanted context menu items. To start lets test to see if it corrupt files.

Go
Start < Run and type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. This will need the Windows XP CD so have that in you computer before you start. This will repair all corrupt files belonging to XP.

Dsypher

Dsypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I was able to fix my problem wid d help of this article.
http://www.tech-reci...ws_tips925.html

Now, the only thing I need 2 do is to remove the unwanted context menu items created by third party softwares or may be spywares.

Thanx 4 helpin out Michael :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you don't mind I am writing a tweak for Easy XP Tweaks on how to do this I am going to test what it looks like here.

Tweak #40: Remove Unwanted Context menus

When you right click a folder do you notice that programs have added them selves to the the little pop up menu. You can remove these program entries, by editing the registry. It is best to have a full back up of the registry just in case some thing goes wrong. To backup registry right click a folder(key) and press export and save it where you could find it if needed. In this case you only have to back up

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

Once you have done that have a look in

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

And delete the folders(keys) to the programs who's entries you want removed. Reboot and they will be gone.

Remember editing the registry can cause problems, if you do the wrong thing. Do not do this unless you feel safe editing the registry

Edited by Michael Buckley, 22 October 2005 - 05:09 AM.

Dsypher

Dsypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
thanx a lot mate 4 all da help. Cheers !