Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System failing Memtest86 test #7

• Please log in to reply

cfgta

cfgta

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I just purchase a new abit kv7 mb, 2 Kingston 512mb RAM, and CPU AMD xp 3000+, and 160 Gb hard drive. I try a fresh install of windows xp sp2 and I keep getting the blue screen right after the system loading all the files from the Cd and try to start installing the Windows. (Blue screen shows up right after the DOS mode loading, and start the screen with the windows logo on the center and the install status on the left hand side.) After I found out the RAM is the problem, I exchange the RAM and I can install the Windows without any problem. However, my windows will suddenly shut down and reboot at a random time. Sometime it runs great for 4 or 5 days with normal useful (no installation of program or running heavy program) and reboot suddenly. Then it will keep reboot every time I type in the password and login. I have to login as another user, then do a normal reboot and then it will run fine. I try looking at the CPU temp and it is just about 60 deg C at the time of reboot. Then I run the Memtest86 again and I get error reported on test#7. However, when I install the RAM on teh different system and run the test. It passes all the test without any problem. I have changed the video card to see if it helps and no luck. I also try unplug/disable all the other card but still not able to fix the problem. I suspect this is an motherboard problem but I don't know how to confirm it. Do you know what test # 7 on the memtest86 means to the system and the RAM? Thanks a lot.

Albert

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure about what #7 tests..but...with your description it sounds like either a motherboard issue or maybe just a bios issue...since the ram passes all tests in a different machine...i would suggest trying to flash your bios and see if that makes a diffrence

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The Kv7 can be a problem to set up with certain cpu's the memtest failure on test 7 means nothing some boards will do this on test 7 and is does not mean the board or ram is bad but rather a setting or two off in bios

I need to know your full specs including cpu, ram, psu, video card.

I also need to know your temps at idle (as in bios) and what bios you are running.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The Kv7 can be a problem to set up with certain cpu's the memtest failure on test 7 means nothing some boards will do this on test 7 and is does not mean the board or ram is bad but rather a setting or two off in bios

I need to know your full specs including cpu, ram, psu, video card.

I also need to know your temps at idle (as in bios) and what bios you are running.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry for the double post, somethings going on I keep getting a page cannot be displayed error and then boom my post is there anyway

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
To dsenette:

you mean I need to clear the bios and re-set all the settings again.

To Doby:

spec of my pc:

abit kv7 motherboard
kingston pc3200 400MHz 512 MB RAM
Radeon 7500 32 MB Video card
amd athlon xp 3000+
idle temp of teh CPU: ~62 deg C
bios version: v19

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What heatsink fan are you using stock with thermal pad?

The 62c could be a problem

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Its getting late and the forum seems to be having problems, I am having difficulty responding so I will be back in tomarrow in the pm.

I still need to know your power supply as the Kv7 needs good stable power, I also need to check my notes on this board, then we will need to look at some bios settings

But for beginners you need to get that cpu temp down to 40c to 45c at idle witch I can help you with but for now pull the side off the case and see if it drops and report the temp back.

Rick

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
once doby agrees (because i think he's heading in a great direction and i would like you to try his stuff first) go to the motherboard's website and download the newest version of the bios...and follow their instructions

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have already pulled the cover off when I check the temp (I never put the cover back because of all the problem I have. In case I need to change hardware, it can save me some time).

I am using my old 350W power supply that I use for the last 7 years. Since I only have one card (AGP video card) plug into the mb, I think that pw should be enough.

I don't have the brand name of the power supply, the fan and heat sink I am using right now (at work). But I will get that tonight and let you guys know. The fan and heat sink is new and I bought it for $18 from the local store here in San Antonio. Two things is I am using the thermal pad when installing the CPU and the fan is running at about 2100 rpm, is that normal or enough for this amd cpu? I also notice there's a new bios available (verison 20) and I will install that tonight to see what happen.

Thanks

Albert :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hold off on the bios update for now because I know of no ram problems with version 19 but dsenette could be right depending on the ram, it could be some make I am unaware of.

I know this board very well have one myself and built some others, this I can tell you it is picky about setup and parts, once everthing is setup right its one of the best boards very stable.

You must replace the the psu a several year old 350w is just not going to cut it, the Kv7 needs pure stable power or it just won't setup correctly.

Heres the psu I recomend the KV7 simply loves it

Does the psu you are currently using have the extra 4 pin 12v power lead to the mobo? This is a must.
I feel that you really can't do anything else without a psu change but get back to me on what HSF and thermal paste you are using, you may also need to reapply the paste

Rick

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
do you think the following psu will do the tick? it is on sales and I think it is a good deal if this brand is a good brand.

http://www.tigerdire...26&Sku=ULT31592

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I forgot to get the fan and heat sink brand today and I will do it tonight.

Just want to let you know my old 350W psu didn't have the 4 pin 12V. And I will go to buy a new one to see if it will fix my rebooting problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

do you think the following psu will do the tick? it is on sales and I think it is a good deal if this brand is a good brand.

Yes perfect, I have one of them on my main rig and I love it.

Just want to let you know my old 350W psu didn't have the 4 pin 12V. And I will go to buy a new one to see if it will fix my rebooting problem.

Thats one problem the 4 pin 12v connector supplies extra power to the cpu and is very important. I do think you have multiple problems but don't worry they can easily be corrected thats why I am interested in the hsf. Once I know the brand I will make sure it is compatible with socket A then we will go over the proper instalation proceedures to make sure it is installed correctly.

After that and when you get the new psu we will have to check some bios settings sometimes the KV7 needs some manual setups that bios defaults don't setup correctly with certain cpu's. There is all so some jumper settings to take a look at I think its the placement of the crom jumper but I have to check my notes.

Btw what 3000+ cpu do you have is it the 333mhz or the 400mhz, we will need to know that for proper setup.

Rick

cfgta

cfgta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi ,

My CPU is AMD XP 3000+ @ 333 MHz

and fan and heatsink I am using is from Spire, the model number is 5F271B1L3 FalconRock II.

My psu is on the way shipping to me. I should get it by this Wednesday. After I install the new power supply and ready for checking the setting of the bios, I will let you guy know.

Thanks a lot.

Albert