Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this Processor compatible?

• Please log in to reply

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have a Gateway 300S computer and I'm looking for a better processor than the 2.0GHz one that it came with. So I chatted with a Gateway dude, and he says that all it has to be is an Intel Pentium 4, Socket 478. I looked it up and according to Gateway.com my motherboard only supports this.

I really don't want to mess this up. It says max bus speed 400MHz, Zero Insertion Force (whatever that is), and some other stuff. I need a compatible CPU for my computer, but I can't find one. Please help!

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmmm....get a new motherboard first man...

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hello,

When you are looking for CPU's, just make sure it's a socket 478 so it fits your board. Zero insertion force means just that - it take no force to insert the chip. Some older types and other socket types used to require a bit of force to seat the chip correctly, unfortunately people wouldn't install them the correct way and would push harder than needed, damaging the pins or board. Zero force means your chip will seat itself easily, like a knife through butter.

I'd agree though that if you are dumping money into a new CPU, you might also just replace the MoBo as well. If you tell me what you are looking for in a processor, and your budget, we could give you chip ideas. :tazz:

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well I already have a 2GHz CPU, i just need one thats better, possibly 2.4GHz. My budget is under $200