Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOUND PROBLEM HELP!

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi all,

Had to completly wipe my computer. All works okay now apart from my sound. All speakers are checked and connected and on. Drivers are installed and say ok. Trouble is im getting no sound at all. Any ideas? Please contact me on msn need help fast Email removed by Mod: Murray

Thanks

Andrew

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Visit the manufacturer's site for a suitable driver and any available software

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, post the make and model here before you download anything

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Oh boy, I'm having sound troubles, too. I can't seem to find any sound devices to restore my sound mixer. Though all my volume options are adjustable, there is no sound at all. This is what happens when I try to click on setting the volume control on my launch: volume control is not installed, use Add/Remove program to install it. I can't do that either.

I have my motherboard's name, Asus P4B266-LM

Audio Controller Type: Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2

I tried to run a google search on the sound driver, but no luck. Any help would be most helpful, please.

Edited by jackson1208, 23 October 2005 - 11:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is that what you get if you run Everest

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yeah, I used Everest's report.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up then disc defragmenter

Set a System Restore Point

Download and install these

http://www.majorgeek...vers_d4400.html

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the quick response Keith. I will do just that. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I don't know what went wrong with the sound, it just suddenly disappeared, while surfing the net.

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Aw, is it alright if I forget to set a system restore point. I guess I'll just defrag and disk clean the computer again. Still, after I did the two tasks, I installed the sound driver, and restarted my computer as the program suggests. Testing if my sound works, it still remains soundless. I've checked if all the buttons in volume control are set right, so no button is muted. I even checked the speakers' wires, along with an alternate speaker.

Okay, I have to admit that I've experienced this before on my other computer--it has the same problem, the sound sudden disappeared. I too have a sound driver installer for it, but the thing is I have to install the driver everytime I start up my computer, and after the installation is complete, I do not check the option which says to restart the computer. This is the only way for me to have sound. I think this would be the same case for the sound codec installer you gave me.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do a full, destructive system restore? The sound disappeared just week ago. I've tried to restore my computer to the last two weeks ago with the system restore point, but still no sound.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

This is to check that there are not any obsolete files which could be stopping a correct install

You can also check in sound devices that the Realtek codec is the default playback device

Boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, check onboard audio is enabled

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
So far, I ran all the tune-up runnings. Still, I discover no sound errors or anything unusual with the sound. Yes, all the sound and video codecs appear to be working properly and are default as it always is. The only thing left to try is to restart the computer and tap the delete button, and check for onboard audio. Alright, this is my last resort.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably worth downloading the others, which are updated from what you will have

Safest to set a restore point

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey, are you sure about tapping delete repeatedly, it doesn't seem to have anything come up. Are you sure it's not F2 by any chance, or any other button. Maybe I'm not tapping it fast enough?

Well, I already do have so many restore points from the past two weeks, including today. I'm not sure if I need to create any more.

Edited by jackson1208, 23 October 2005 - 01:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can be F2 though usually it is the delete key

The first screen usually has what it is bottom right

If you have the motherboard CD then the audio drivers will be on that

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Oh, I see. I guess I'll check out the F2, the beginning screen moves so fast, it's hard to scan the info. All it takes is one glance, I know.

Darn, I have so many recovery CD's for this computer, while my other one doesn't even have one. I wonder if i can find it.

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Probably worth downloading the others, which are updated from what you will have

Hmm . . . they all appear to be the same audio mixers, I see that their names are the same. I think it is just the diferent brandwidth locations, not different audio updates.