Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

DrewMan

DrewMan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I used to have this same thing happen on my desktop, BSOD right before the Welcome screen and then a fast reboot before I could read the page. It hasn't happened since I installed & ran Registry Mechanic. Cost $25 if you want to fix anything, here's a link if you want to try it.

http://www.pctools.c...hanic/download/

Advertisements

DrewMan

DrewMan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I used to have this same thing happen on my desktop, BSOD right before the Welcome screen and then a fast reboot before I could read the page. It hasn't happened since I installed & ran Registry Mechanic. Cost $25 if you want to fix anything, here's a link if you want to try it.

http://www.pctools.c...hanic/download/

austen

austen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Oooh. I've got a Windows XP CD now..

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sweet! :tazz:

Try a repair installation using the link in my signature.

Fenor

austen

austen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Oookay. When I put the CD in this is what I get:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item press ENTER.

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space press C.

To delete the selected partition press D.

C: Partition1 (NTFS) is all there is to select.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Looks like you have an OEM Windows XP cd and therefore can't do the repair install :tazz:

Either you need to get a non-OEM version of Windows XP, or backup your data by putting your hard drive into another computer, or you need to buy another hard drive, install XP on it and then transfer all your data you want saved over to that one.

Unfortunately your options are limited because you don't have the right Windows XP cd to do the repair installation. :)

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Being that you have a laptop, you really can't take out the hard drive too easily and transfer the data to another computer. Looks like your only options are to get a non-OEM XP cd or lose all your data and just do a normal format and installation of windows XP.

Fenor