Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16bit MS-DOS subsystem issue

• Please log in to reply

redwave250443

redwave250443

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Did anyone encounter this issue? Appreciation in advance!

Replacing an old hard disk, I installed OS Windows XP SP1 for the new hard disk after formatting it with left three partitions. The processes of installation was rather smooth without any mistakes appeared. When finished, I rebooted machine to run Windows XP SP1 for the first time. Unfortunately, a unknowned error happened I have never meeted before. The indication information is following:

Title: "16bit MS-DOS subsystem."
Content: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE system files can not be proper to run MS-DOS and Windows application programes.Select 'close' to terminate application programes. select 'Close ' and 'Ignore' button."

Why does the error appear for the first run ?

Computer components: 80G Seagate hard disk;
815 Intel chipset
Geforce AGP display
128+128 SDRAM (Two pieces of different Memo)

Due to the two different brand Memo, as I installed the OS during the period of detecting hardwares, the error was reported that some files couldn't be copied from CD. Next step, I removed one of two Memo and left only one piece of Memo on slots. The error disappeared and I could continue to install OS untill the installation was completed.

Thanks a million!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

I believe this error is caused by missing files can you go

Start < Run and type sfc /scannow this will give a blue bar with it goes reboot. This needs the Windows XP CD so have that in you computer before you type sfc /scannow. Form what you have said you about files no being copied form the CD I think that this will fix it.