Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I Wipe or reformat a hard drive

• Please log in to reply

nooka

nooka

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi There,

I would like to know how to remove all the data from an old hard drive ready to install Win98 on it. I take it this is known as reformating the hard drive?.

Have already set the bios to boot from the CDROM Drive first, but it won't, as I thought boot from the Win98 disk in the drive, before unsuccessfully trying to boot into a faulty WIN95 on C drive

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You need a bootable CD in order to boot from the cd drive. If you are installing Win 98, you can use a boot floppy. If you don't have one, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get one. A Win98 boot floppy has cd rom drivers included, so you will be able to put the windows 98 install cd in and then just follow the prompts. Do a complete format before you install. Once you boot from the floppy and are at the a> prompt, you can type format c: and there you go....