Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to boot

• Please log in to reply

mdhughes03

mdhughes03

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My AVG antivirus alerted me that i had a generic trojan horse virus (trojan.gm) I pressed heal and it said successfully healed. However, this kept re-appearing. I tried to smart restore and was unable. I then tried to re-install xp and was unable. Now my pc is unable to boot past the press escape to go to POST screen, the monitor just goes blank.

I have tried to use my master disks (windows 98) and boot floppy but neither work and I can't boot from the xp cd I have-tried going into the BIOS to change the boot order, but it won't save my changes, just freezes. Any ideas what I can do?!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi mdhughes03!

What I suggest you do, is unplug the power from the back of your pc, then open up the side panel (the panel on the left side of the PC if you are looking at the front of the pc), and then remove the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless-steel about the size of a nickel). Keep the CMOS battery removed for at least 5 minutes, then put it back in, reconnect the power to pc and then try to go back into the BIOS and change/save the settings you tried to do earlier but couldn't because the settings weren't being saved.

Fenor