Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange New Build Problem

• Please log in to reply

Tiiinnng

Tiiinnng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, firstly hello, my first post here, I hope you people are the solution to my nightmare :tazz:

So, I buy this stuff to build a new system with....

P4 3.2G HT 800fsb
Gigabyte 81915P Duo Pro
Corsair 512DDR2 Daul Channel
ABit Radeon RX600 Pro Guru
Antec 480W True Power

I put it all together, and after a slight issue with IDE channels, as I was too poor to buy a SATA HDD, I get it all working fine.

Then after about a month, I start getting strange colour glitches on the screen, which quickly became full scale graphics problems when going through post, to the extent that I can't even read whats going on before XP boots.

I assume graphics card error, and contact my supplier, who take the graphics card back and test it, they claim it is fault free. OK, so a friend advises me it must be the motherboard, so that gets sent back to Gigabyte, who test it, replace components (they don't say which) and return it saying it is now in perfect working order.

Today (almost 8 months after purchasing the parts) I rebuild the system, boot it up (without windows installed) and still get the graphical errors during post, I can't read the screen, its just black and white garbage.

Right that's the story.......do you have any ideas what may be causing this ?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Tiiinnng

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmmm...i had a problem with scrambled text due to ram before, not because it was faulty though, it just didnt work with one particular mobo. However i doubt thats what we have here since the comp i mentioned was oooold.

have you got a spare gcard you could test it with?
Also check the cooling, make sure its all nice n coolish, i had a system where the graphics card kept overheating and it would either screw up, or crash.

Tiiinnng

Tiiinnng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
An Update.....

I tried using just 1 channel of RAM, tried both modules on their own, in each channel no effect....

I don't have a spare graphics card, because this is PCI-E and the old machine of mine is not.....

however, I did notice that the first time i switched the machine on, the graphics errors weren't too bad, but if i switched off and on again, it got progressively worse..... could this be overheating of something ?