Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless connection speed decreases randomly (54-24Mbps)


  • Please log in to reply

#1
hmarks3

hmarks3

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-band (802.11a/b/g) USB2.0 wireless network adapter
It receives "excellent" signal streangth 99% of the time and the other 1% it is still great
The speed always starts out at 54Mbps and will occasionally stay at that speed for up to an hour or more, but the majority of the time it decreases to 24Mbps within a few minutes
I have Time Warner cable service and have no idea what is making my connectino slow down
I also have trouble with online gaming (Once every 30 seconds to a couple minutes I temporarily lose my connection which occasionally lasts long enough that I lose my connectin to the game server) I have posted about this and received little help, I don't know if these two things are related

I greatly appreciate the time spent reading this post and hope that with someones help I can resolve this issue
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Fenor

Fenor

    Trusted Tech

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hmarks3!

I suggest that you download and install an updated driver for your wireless adapter. I also suggest that if you are using the wireless configuration software that came with your network card, to uninstall it and then just install the drivers only, that way you will be able to use XP's built in wireless connection manager and not have to worry about XP and the wireless adapter's software fighting with each other.

Fenor
  • 0

#3
Fenor

Fenor

    Trusted Tech

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would also check and see if you have anything between your computer and the wireless router/modem that could be causing the disruption. Like speakers, refridgerator, concrete wall, microwave, TV, etc...

Also check out the surge protector (or wall outlet) that the wireless router/modem is plugged in to. Could try changing the plug it's plugged into and see what happens.

You can also try changing the USB port that adapter is plugged in to.

Fenor
  • 0

#4
hmarks3

hmarks3

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your time I will try all that you suggested but I like to gain an understanding of why things happen so that I can better understand my computer software and how it works and how to fix it

my questions is, why does my speed go down from 54Mbps to 24Mbps even though I have an excellent signal streangth
  • 0

#5
kd1966

kd1966

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
maybe check your wireless router's settings and do NOT select "AUTO" for speed, which sometimes causes the router to adjust its speed settings down to where it thinks is better. Set the speed settings yourself to 54mbps or whatever it is you want it to run at
  • 0

#6
kd1966

kd1966

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Also check your wireless cards for transmission strength; usually the default settings are 100%, but I have seen instances of 50%..........

You will likely want 100%, especially if you are located either upstairs or downstairs from your wireless router
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP