Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp sp2 home, resets on boot... please help!

• Please log in to reply

culubalo

culubalo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have this piece of software (mathematica), I recently installed it and it worked fine. HOwever I discovered that trying to run a specific task on it casued by computer to reset, at first I thought it was a freak accident, second time I discovered it was from that specific task. THird time I try to run the process (how stubborn of me :tazz:) my computer reset and now resets as soon as it reaches the windows logo part when booting. Now on boot it says taht my computer has recovered from a serious error due to either hardware or software change, and asks how to boot (safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, normal boot etc), I have tried all of them and non work. HOwever I noticed that when I boot in safe mode the computer hangs when it says something about bthmgr.sys (not exact file but its related to bluetooth). I don't use my computers bluetooth capabilities so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.

I will really appreciate any help on this :)

Edited by culubalo, 21 October 2005 - 04:26 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into any version of windows(safe mode or any of that)? can you get to the screen that gives you the option to do last known good config..?

if none of those work...we may need to do a repair of windows...so let us know what happens

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
nothing works, it doesn't boot at ALL, none of the boot modes respond, they all just reset on me aftera while, not command prompt or anything.

The only way I can get into a sort of command prompt is through a recovery cd, but I can't boot the computer through it...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...well...do you just have the recovery cd that came with the system...or an actual xp disk?

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I got an xp disk and a recovery disk.

the recovery disk is doing a hard disk check currently, I tried using the 'recovery console' using the xp disk however it didn't let me open it presenting me with a blue screen with some message saying that my computer was shut down becase of a hard drive error (or something like that) and that I should turn off all disk defragmenters etc which has led me to believe it is in fact something to do with a physical harddrive error.

As I said from before this program is called 'mathematica' and I was just browsing some of its features. Basically it has the capability of changing specific mathematical equations into sound. Most of the demos it had worked but one kept restarting my system.

I have had a similar problem with nero burning rom in the past, when it started a burning process my computer would reset if there was anohter application called 'dvd43' running at the same time. dvd43 basically strips dvd's of encoding so I figure it was some sort of conflict with that...

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
the harddrive test just finished, looks like 'no errors were found'..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
boot to the recovery console with your xp cd and type sfc /scannow

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can't it gives me an error, from which Ihave to reboot... might hae to just reformat :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i suggest trying to do a repair install first..

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried that it took me to the same blue screen error as when I tried to access the recovery console, it says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been sht down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scren,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Dible or uninstall any anti-virus, disk deframentation or backup utilities, check your hard drive configuratin,
and check for any updated drives. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Tecjmoca; omfpr,atopm"

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902fe,0xf7ca56dc,0xf7ca53d8,oxf746981)

*** ntfs.sys - address f7469f81 base at f741a000, datestamp 41107eea

its not word for word but its as close as it gets. It says the same thing to me no matter what I try including recovery console...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that does not look good...let me do some reaserch...sit tight.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...md_stp_swhw.asp

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q228888

try those two

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the links :tazz:

It appears my computer is suffering from a corrupt ntfs.sys file. However the only solutions they are suggesting I cannot do as I don't have a floppy drive on the pc that is experiencing difficulties and I cannot find the makeboot.exe or mkboot32.exe in my cd rom as it suggests:

Change to the CD_ROM:\Support\Bootdisk folder, and then run Makeboot.exe or Makebt32.exe to create the four Windows 2000 Setup disks.

because I don't have those executables on it...

I'll try some other ideas which I have gotten from the links.

Is it possible to replace the ntfs.sys file on the computer with the one on the win xp cd? If so how?

Edited by culubalo, 21 October 2005 - 01:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah..by running that system file checker (sfc /scannow)...which you said didn't work..

culubalo

culubalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have never had a problem like this...

yeah, basically I can't get through to the computer at all except thorugh a cd recovery which allows me to get to a strange command prompt which doesn't let me do anything... It looks like its just a big buggered problem...

Would an unexpected shutdown cause the ntfs.sys file to become corrupted? Or could it be the work of some sort of malicious software?

thanks for the help :tazz: I'll probably attempt to format it, if that fails (which I have this little ningling thought it just might), I'll have to get the warranty back... Yes it has a warranty oh thankgod...