Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Ubuntu, to play games?

• Please log in to reply

mixed_boxer

mixed_boxer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey i have windows Xp pro sp2 and Ubuntu 5.10, but id like to play half life 2 and dawn of war on ubuntu so i dont have to use windows much anymore so far all i have found is programs you must pay for. If anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well about the only thing I can think of that you don't have to pay for ( at least last time I checked) would be to try and get Wine working.

Here is the URL :

http://www.winehq.com/

It isn't the most easiest of things to make work. Somethings I've tried it for work great and some don't. Other wise you'd have to look for either an emulator package ( you'd have to pay for those usually ) or you'd have to buy a linux version of the software. you could try www.tuxgames.com. if they don't have them they might be able to get them.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Well about the only thing I can think of that you don't have to pay for ( at least last time I checked) would be to try and get Wine working.

Here is the URL :

http://www.winehq.com/

It isn't the most easiest of things to make work. Somethings I've tried it for work great and some don't. Other wise you'd have to look for either an emulator package ( you'd have to pay for those usually ) or you'd have to buy a linux version of the software. you could try www.tuxgames.com. if they don't have them they might be able to get them.

Wine doesn't support Half-life 2 or dawn of war, teh only wy you may get these to work will be with Cedega which is non-free, you have ot pay $5USD a month to use it.