Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get rid of windows log In dialog box?

• Please log in to reply

prncess20

prncess20

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello everyone,

I really messed up my computer and i dont know how to fix it. hopefully you guys will be able to help.

My LAN wasnt working so i was messing around with the computer and i remember i installed something in the network connections option in the control panel menu.

Now, whenever i turn on my computer, it shows a dialog box that says:

windows xp log in

User:
Password:

I did not set up nor do i know my user name or my password.

Hence, i cannot access anything on my computer (rather cant even go to the desktop) until i fill in the correct user name and password.

How do i get rid of that and make it start normally again? it has been bugging me for days and i cant find anyone or anything that helps.

I tried pressing ESC, doesn't work. The cancel button is grayed out...

please help me.

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Prncess20

Are you still able to get into Safe Mode, usually by tapping the F8 key while starting the cp, you should get a black screen asking you to choose Boot Normally Safe Mode, blah, blah, blah, if you can get into Safe Mode you will have to try and remember what you have changed.

i was messing around with the computer and i remember i installed something in the network connections option in the control panel menu.

I cannot see any possible settings here to cause the issue of the login box popping up, possible that you changed a setting in Users?? :tazz: Here you can state either to have the Welcome screen show or the CAD screen.

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Hi Prncess20

Are you still able to get into Safe Mode, usually by tapping the F8 key while starting the cp, you should get a black screen asking you to choose Boot Normally Safe Mode, blah, blah, blah, if you can get into Safe Mode you will have to try and remember what you have changed.
I cannot see any possible settings here to cause the issue of the login box popping up, possible that you changed a setting in Users??  :tazz: Here you can state either to have the Welcome screen show or the CAD screen.

View Post

what is a CAD screen?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts

Now, whenever i turn on my computer, it shows a dialog box that says:

windows xp log in

User:
Password:

I did not set up nor do i know my user name or my password.

Hence, i cannot access anything on my computer (rather cant even go to the desktop) until i fill in the correct user name and password.

How do i get rid of that and make it start normally again? it has been bugging me for days and i cant find anyone or anything that helps.

I tried pressing ESC, doesn't work. The cancel button is grayed out...

please help me.

View Post

in your control panel, go to user accounts and then way users sign on and off

make sure both boxes are checked :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
OOoooppps, sorry Prncess20,... :tazz: ...CAD is tech talk for pressing the keys Control + Alt + Deleted keys, do you see a window after booting up asking you to press these keys and then the username and password screen comes up?

If your cp is a member of a Workgroup and running XP, you will see the Welcome screen with the little pics of anyone's account on the computer. If the cp is a member of a Domain, all you will see is the CAD screen and you have to login with the username and password assigned to you.

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

OOoooppps, sorry Prncess20,... :tazz: ...CAD is tech talk for pressing the keys Control + Alt + Deleted keys, do you see a window after booting up asking you to press these keys and then the username and password screen comes up?

If your cp is a member of a Workgroup and running XP, you will see the Welcome screen with the little pics of anyone's account on the computer. If the cp is a member of a Domain, all you will see is the CAD screen and you have to login with the username and password assigned to you.

View Post

Oh that's cool. I had the university's tech people come in and help me. he didn't knwo what i installed in order to get that screen but i now know that i need to type my user name and password that i currently had to do what i need to do and have access to everything.

I had this before:
If your cp is a member of a Workgroup and running XP, you will see the Welcome screen with the little pics of anyone's account on the computer.

But now i have this:
If the cp is a member of a Domain, all you will see is the CAD screen and you have to login with the username and password assigned to you.

How do i get it back to this (If your cp is a member of a Workgroup and running XP, you will see the Welcome screen with the little pics of anyone's account on the computer)?

Thanks!

Oh also...

I have 2 partitions of my hard drive...they are 130 GB and the other partition is 30GB...how do i make one big 160 gb partition?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
What you can check for is Right Click on My Computer, select Properties - Computer name Tab - click on the Change button, and see if your cp is a member of a Domain or Workgroup. You can change to either one here, but joining or leaving a Domain will ask you to provide a username and password for someone with the rights to do this. :tazz:

Changing the partitions is slightly different, if your operating system is on the 30GB and files, pics, and whatever are on the 130GB drive, I would leave it alone. This way if you ever have to reinstall your OS, you do not have to worry about loosing any of your docs, (unless they are on C:)

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Changing the partitions is slightly different, if your operating system is on the 30GB and files, pics, and whatever are on the 130GB drive, I would leave it alone. This way if you ever have to reinstall your OS, you do not have to worry about loosing any of your docs, (unless they are on C:)

View Post

okay i have 2 HD:
c: 30GB
d: 130GB
G: 30Gb
*NOTE HD D and G are one harddrive...but have 2 partitions

I have windows xp pro on BOTH C and D (NOT ON THE G PARTITION THOUGH). I want to move everything from C to D and to format C, but make D and G into one big 160GB HD. G doesn't have anything on it.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
K, before you start moving files to D and G, hopefully you are booting into XP on C, right click My Computer, select Manage, when the window opens, choose Disk Management, right click your partitions, 130GB and 30GB, choose delete partition, (all info will be lost ;) ) when both are gone, right click again and select to make a partition, the partition wizard will open and you can create the new partition.

Reinstall XP on the 160GB partition, if you so wish, move your files from C: over to D, after that, you can format C: when you boot into the XP on D:. Clear as mud..... :tazz:

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

K, before you start moving files to D and G, hopefully you are booting into XP on C, right click My Computer, select Manage, when the window opens, choose Disk Management, right click your partitions, 130GB and 30GB, choose delete partition, (all info will be lost ;) ) when both are gone, right click again and select to make a partition, the partition wizard will open and you can create the new partition.

Reinstall XP on the 160GB partition, if you so wish, move your files from C: over to D, after that, you can format C: when you boot into the XP on D:. Clear as mud..... :tazz:

View Post

okay i did that and it says that windows is unable to complete the format....