Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp shuts down from a bugcheck ?

• Please log in to reply

orentha

orentha

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I need some help with this...
I have no idea whats causing it.

It usually happens once every couple of days, but today it's happened 3 times so far.

With absolutely no warning, I'll get a blue screen, and it says the comp has rebooted from a bugcheck ??

I am running Windows 2000 SP4.
Dual AMD Atrhlon 2G processors
1 GB Ram

I can go into the Event Viewer and it says this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000b8a, 0xf87f8680, 0xf87f8688). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

Also, before all of these "savedumps" I get this error anywhere between 3 min and 10 min before it happens:
"Unable to map required address ranges for graphics card. "

That leads me to believe that my graphics card is possibly causing this ??

My graphics card "seems" to be running fine.

Does anyone have any idaes on this or suggestions ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
0x000000C2 errors are generally caused by faulty drivers or incompatible software. What new drivers or software did you install recently?

There is a hotfix if nothing else works, but you'll have to contact Microsoft. NTFS or FAT32? (file systems) Open My Computer, right-click your hard drive, then click Properties. It should say "File system: ____" Did you apply all updates?

orentha

orentha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I haven't installed any new drivers or software in a while. I did get a Dell 2001 Flatpanel monitor a couple months ago...

My file system is NTFS

"Did you apply all updates?" what do you mean by this ??

and do I just contact microsoft support about this? or how do I obtain the hotfix ?

thanks

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Sorry for not specifying. All Windows Updates.

You would have to contact Microsoft and possibly pay money for support. Here is one of Microsoft's articles with information about it.

orentha

orentha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey
I just checked and got everything totally updated from the Windows website.
Now I've gott another problem.
My computer has rebooted twice today from another error...

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000b8a, 0xf8322aa0, 0xf8322aa8). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

Also, when the blue screen comes up, it also says BAD_POOL_CALLER

any ideas what that could be ??

this is getting really frustrating

:tazz: :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would not rule out faulty driver....an existing driver going bad due to disk corruption, so reinstalling all the most current drivers may fix this.

A second solution, and one that is growing more probable with the mix of messages, is faulty memory. Did you add memory lately?

Or it could just be a faulty chip that wasn't being used much but additional demand is pushing your PC into the area that accesses the bad chip.

A quick test would be to methodically remove memory sticks one at a time until the problem disappears. You could also run a memory diagnostic like memtest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

As good as these programs are, though, I still find they do not catch everything and even if something tests fine, it could still be an issue