Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xpsp2 programs not responding

• Please log in to reply

lostn3pts

lostn3pts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to be having a problem with certain windows programs. Everything works fine except for the following:

search - when I click on search the window comes up including the animated dog but nothing else is there, no words or anything.

system restore - when I try to open system restore nothing comes up not even the window

Windows help and support - same here I click and nothing comes up

windows media player - when I try to open this i get "an internal application error has occured"

IE6 - I can open the browser and surf except I cannot open the windows update site and also the search window in the browser is also blank. I also tried to run a scan from trend micro and it will not start. When I use firefox the trend micro site works except it says i need to use ie to run the scan.

I have run several programs to try to find and fix the problems but no dice. here they are:

ad-aware se
nortonsystem works 2004
cw shredder
ewido
trojanhunter
pconpoint
bugdoctor
spyware snooper
avast
disc defrag

when I ran these some problems were found and fixed but the above problems remain. There may be more wayward programs that I haven"t discovered yet but this is all I know for now.
I sure hope someone has an idea cuz I'm now lost as to what to do.

Thank-you in advance for any help with this problem

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi lostn3pts! Welcome to G2G!

Try doing a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows using the link in my signature. You will need your XP cd to do this. Don't worry, all your programs will work afterwards and you won't lose any settings or files. It only replaces the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all Windows Updates after doing this.

Good luck and post back how things are going afterwards.

Fenor

lostn3pts

lostn3pts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
outstanding - worked like a charm. I know where I'm going for the fix next time I goof something up
G2G RULES!!!!

Thanks for the help