Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find CD drives

• Please log in to reply

kimerskine

kimerskine

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
For some reason our CD drives have stopped working. I am wondering if I mistakenly moved or erased the files I need when trying to clean the c drive :tazz: I don't know where to start.

When I go to the help button it gives me a message that windows cannot open the Help and support because a system service is not running...Help!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi kimerskine!

Do you have your Windows XP cd handy? If so, I suggest you do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of Windows following the instructions in the link in my signature. Don't worry, all of your programs will still work and you won't lose any of your settings or files. This will only replace the operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all Windows Updates again after doing this.

Fenor

kimerskine

kimerskine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried your suggestions and I could not get it to boot from the disk. I wonder if I am just missing the drivers?

I have a gate way and tried your other suggestions but those didn't work either...

I see them on the Computer but it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Troubleshooter doesn't work I get the message that window can't open help and support.

Hopefully I haven't totally screwed things up...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You probably need to Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up

Change the boot priority to CD ROM then hard drive, press F10 to save the changes, type Y to confirm, insert the XP CD then press enter

It will reboot, look for press any key to load from CD

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138