Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Processor

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, My laptop has a 233Mhz processor... and it can't keep up with basic tasks like editing word documents amymore. I'd like to get a new one, so I headed for CNet and looked at their weekend project bit. All he did was lift up the keys, removed the old processor and put the new one in. This seems far too simple, and my laptop's older than the one he was using. Here's the link to the processor I'm most likely gonna buy-
http://www.savastore...=10280846&pid=0

Is there anything else that I need to do? (I've been told I'd need to update the BIOS, but it looks complicated)

What will happen once I put the new processor in? Will the computer do all the work and just know it's there or do I have to fiddle with things (I hope not)?

What can go wrong? (like will the laptop just refuse to boot, even when I put the old processor back in)

Thanks for your help (or if i don't get any replies, thanks for taking the time to read this)
Michael

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Don't waste your money.. that processor won't work.. You need a processor for a Super7 or a 390 pin max..

Suggest you go to the manufacturers website and see what they say about a maz processor for your system but I would suspect it to be somewhere around the 300 to 350 mHz range!!

Murray

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
What's Super7 and 390 pin max?

I've been on Dell's website, but I can't seem to find any info. I'm probably looking in the wrong places...
It's a Dell Latitude CPM233XT if that helps.

Are you sure it won't work... I really don't want to get a new laptop :tazz:

Btw, wow, you replied so quick! My question was answered in 4 mins! Thank You.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Thats the type of motherboard.. The processor has a set number of pins (connections) on it.. Yours is probably a 390 pin processor (motherboard) or it could be what is known as a Super 7 (less pins on the processor and processor socket)..

The processor you are looking at is a Socket 478 (processor and corresponding mobo have 478 pins/slots)..

Also, your BIOS won't even come close to accepting it even with the newest BIOS upgrade..

Save your money and get a system that can handle XP when you can afford it!!

Murray

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, thanks. :tazz:

Oh, one more thing. I've only got 64MB of memory. I know for a fact the maximum it can handle is 128MB and it needs 144 Pin SO DIMM. I found this (http://www.savastore...uct_id=10266013) and i was just wondering, will it work in my laptop. I can't really understand any of the Main features apart from the 114 pin bit. Eg. What is Non-ECC... good thing or bad thing?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to www.crucial.com and do a search on their website for your system.. They will tell you exactly what you can use and, if you buy from them, it is guaranteed to work or your money back!!

Murray