Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardisk not being detected by BIOS or Win XP

• Please log in to reply

Phrozenflame

Phrozenflame

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hiye,

What I do is I have 2 CD roms, 1 SATA HD and one extra HD which needs installation, its all formatted and everything so its not a case of formatting it so winxp picks it..its not even there in BiOS, so we can forget the XP.

Since I dont have extra wires to put the extra HD, what I do is take off the plugs from one CD rom and attach it on this HD..but it wont just work..sometimes some landesk errors come..some times error 114 or error 14..i've done everything making them slaves, masters..all combinations...nothing seems to be working.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Please post your system specs. That will assist folks who want to try to help. It is not a good idea to have to move EIDE cables around to get things to work, except perhaps in the course of troubleshooting. If your cd drives are working on one EIDE channel, great, leave them alone. If your motherboard supports multiple EIDE channels (most have two or more), then the thing to do is get another EIDE cable and use another channel for the hd.

Phrozenflame

Phrozenflame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hiye, My Specs:
P 4 HT
Nvidia 6600 GT MSI
1024 Ram
Board:D915GAV
HD 1 SATA: 80GB + Extra 80GB I need.

It was working previously, now it isnt working..thats the problem, it used to work fine b4..

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Well now, if this is a Intel® Desktop Board D915GAV it Features One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support. You said it was working before. Have you made any changes to your system, installed new hardware, or software? How did you make it work before? Were you swapping the EIDE cable around?

Phrozenflame

Phrozenflame

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hiye,I used to just take out the cables and power cable from one of the CD roms and attached it to the Hardisk and it was working..now its not happening.

I get these errors when i try to put HD:

Intel LANdesk v .99b
PXE E61 - Media Test Failure, Check Media Cable
PXC M0F - Exiting LANdesk

I've made my Hardisk as a slave, the other CD rom attached has no pins on it so I assume that would make it master?

-

As for softwares..I may have installed Office XP, Norton Internet Security the whole package, Intel desktop utilities. I havent installed any new hardwares..just joystick and usb drive on and off. Other softwares are Guildwars, Gunbound and Brothers in Arms.

Edited by Phrozenflame, 22 October 2005 - 07:53 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do both cd drives work ok when the cable is connected to them? If not, it could be the cable is bad. If they do, then the problem is the HD. Combining HD and optical drives on the same EIDE channel is not recommended. If you are doing that, check this 5 page guide from PC World I just found on a google search, to see if you are doing it "right": http://www.pcworld.c...d,102525,00.asp. I did a search for "hard drive and cd drive on same eide channel" and got

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 123,000 for hard drive and cd drive on same eide channel.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
General rule of thumb re: Master and Slave (varies depending on manufacturer):

When Hard Disks are jumperless, they're usually slaves using full capacity. They have to be jumpered to cap their capacity for older systems and also jumpered to make them masters. Some drives will have to be jumpered to make them slaves though.

CD Units, make pending, will usually refuse to do anything when they're missing a jumper and most units have to have a jumper in the appropriate place on the back of the drive before BIOS will pick them up.

Remember if BIOS/POST can't see a drive, Windows isn't going to see it either.

The most common pitfall in this type of sitauation is that two units on the same channel are either both set to Master or both set to Slave. Different motherboards react in different ways to this scenario, some will hang on the "Detecting Primary IDE" message for a while, others will just pass by unable to find a drive.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 October 2005 - 04:22 PM.