Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes blank when I right-click a movie file

• Please log in to reply

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
How would I check to download new ones? And would that explain why Display Properties/Advanced goes blank for a moment as well?

Plus, I just noticed dva.386 is running, which is a display driver I'd never noticed before. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Advertisements

arto

arto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also ran into the very same problem. I have a Geforce 6600GT too, which I first suspected as the source of problems. I have updated the display adapter drivers somewhat recently, but the problem started abruptly later on. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers running RegCleaner in between. Didn't work. I ran full virus and malware scans finding nothing. I also tried all the fixes suggested in this forum thread above. No go. Then I transferred 6600GT itself over to another, brand new computer with out-of-the-box installation of Windows XP/SP2 and a different mobo. The problem presented itself again when I installed the latest nVidia display adapter drivers on that computer. So, I thought I had isolated the problem as a busted 6600GT card. Now I bought another identical 6600GT, but to my surprise the problem persists.

So, after all I guess I dont have a hardware problem with either my mobo, or one of the two 6600GT cards, which I now proudly own...

It has to be somewhere in the software, I just wish I could figure out, what.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Maybe it's a bug that worked its way into the latest driver, and we can just pray that nVidia notices it and rectifies it in its next release. I've really found no help, so I guess we can just sit and wait with our fingers crossed.

arto

arto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well yes, that might be one possibility. It's just funny, as I remember it, the problem didn't start immediately after installing the new drivers. I guess I could check even that by rolling back the display adapter driver. I'll let you know, if there's any success...

arto

arto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried yesterday rolling back the forceware drivers over to version 71.89. Didn't do any good. So I guess the driver is unlikely the quilty party. I'm left clueless, the only consolidation being that the problem is more of a nuisance than a real issue... Let me know, if you come up with something.

nhartline1

nhartline1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just wanted to make a comment about the black screen. I recently had the problem also...I would right-click on a movie file and the screen would turn black momentarily, only to return in a second or two. I decided to reformat and that seemed to fix the problem. I have never had the problem before and I've had the same hardware configuration for some time. I do however have a fx 5200 and don't ask me why. Since I've reformatted, I've noticed the problem eventually resurfaced. The last thing I did before the problem came back was download and install Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, run it, delete 32 criticals, then I unchecked nwiz.exe from startup using msconfig. Everything is connected properly.

veldom

veldom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WOWOWOW I get rid of it!!!

Here's what i did

1 - open windows media player
2 - go to options file types
3 - uncheck anything but wmv, wma, asf

Please, make me know if it works!!

Handytook

Handytook

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the technical ppl, try this website. It goes into detail about the problem then gives you clear instructions on how to get rid of the annoyance.

http://www.slingers....creen_flash.htm

Cheers! :tazz:

nhartline1

nhartline1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank Veldom for the tip, but that didn't work for me.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Yeah, tried that Veldom, had no success. Currently trying Handytook's link.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something else that might be asked here is, are either of you on the full screen setting by default on the player? If so, while it is installing the codec it may go blank, but it isn't really a serious problem.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, this seems to do the trick:

1 - Go to Start, then Run and in the dialog box enter "regedit" without the quotes, then hit enter or OK.

2 - Go to Edit, then Find (or shortcut Control+F) and paste the following:
{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}

3 - Every time it finds something within a folder named Shellex (check the left hand side of the screen to see whether it does), delete the entry by clicking on it and pressing Delete.

NOTE: If the code I gave you, that begins {FFB69...} doesn't turn up any results, try searching for "PlayOnMyTV" and copying the value of that entry.

The link in Handytook's entry tells how this happens because nVidia is, for some reason obscure to me, trying to find whether you have a TV attached to your computer which you might want to play your .avi, .mpg or .wmv files on, and it would subsequently present you with an option to do so in the context menu. The fact is, very few computers actually have TVs attached to them, so this feature is more of a hindrance than a help.

Let me know if this works!
(Credit to Handytook for this one, I'm just trying to put this all into layman's terms!)

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK one issue remains, I just realised. The solution above does indeed sort out the context menu issues, but the Display Properties/Settings/Advanced problem remains. That is, the same blank screen issue when entering that menu. I'm pretty sure it's the same problem, but I'm not techy enough to know where to look for a solution. Little help guys?

arto

arto

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Excellent work Handytook and seegoon! That registry editing did the trick! I found printing out the instructions under Handytook's link useful. If you do this, you got to keep searching under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE time and again. It does get rid of the right-click problem. For me it also had the effect of GeForce6600GT -tab disappearing totally from under the control panel / display / advanced. However, it doesn't flicker clicking 'advanced', either. It still flickers, when I click NVIDIA settings icon from the resident programs menu in the lower right corner of the screen. However, this behavior has been declared normal by NVidia and it might also be behind seegoon's lingering problem. Seegoon, maybe you didn't delete all the entries? Go back and search once more HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for that hex-string and for PlayOnMyTV. Do you still have the 6600GT tab under there, when clicking advanced? I suspect it might be impossible to get rid of that. It is plausible that when nvidia driver is accessed either by icon, or the 'advanced' button, it re-checks the system configuration and does this by a deeper routine than context-menu -one...? All in all, I'm very happy with the situation right now. Thanks!

Handytook

Handytook

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A good replacement for searching the registry is RegSeeker. I used that to find the reg keys on my own system to cure the problem.

Heres a link to download:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Hope this helps some of you who are having trouble finding all the registry entries.

-Handy