Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP install problem

• Please log in to reply

Mycahp

Mycahp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently I uninstalled Windows to play around with Linux on my spare computer. I have no problems installing Linux (Fedora Core 3), or uninstalling it, but I can't seem to reinstall Windows.

I pop in my Windows XP disk, it says press any key to boot from disk, I press a key, and it goes a screen that says its inspecting my hardware configuration and then the screen just goes black and won't do anything.

Why is this??

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mycah.

Edited by Mycahp, 22 October 2005 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you allow it enough time? Sometimes it takes quite a bit of time to do the inspection and the screen may indeed go blank.

Mycahp

Mycahp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All night, still nothing.

Mycahp

Mycahp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anything you can do to help?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If you know the manufactuer of the drive go to there website and download there utilites to format the drive or use a 98 startup disk and format it.

Then pop in the XP cd and do another format with ntsf as the file system and see if XP will load.

I have seen this before and for some reason it works.

Rick