Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any ideas to salvage info off ruined cd?

• Please log in to reply

jamesbob

jamesbob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I'm trying to get some info off a cd that's been ruined. What happened was the label I stuck on it ended up ripping a patch of the aluminum off. So now, when I stick it in, I might as well stick it in upside-down because it doesn't recognize it right side up as there being anything on there. There are some things I'd really like to salvage off there if at all possible, but I can't exactly tape the thing back in place.

So does anyone know of any program that can pull text and info off of unruined portions of CD? Anyone have other ideas on getting whatever info is useable off there?

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jamesbob!

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to salvage the Cd or get any information off it. The 'aluminum' that you tore off is where the data is stored and if that is torn off there is nothing you can do to get it back. Only time you can recover information off CD's is when they are really scratched (scratched on the bottom of the CD, not the top).

Fenor

jamesbob

jamesbob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not trying to get info off the damaged section, I'm trying to get any of the rest of it off. There's only a small chunk of aluminum missing, but it won't recognise the cd, so maybe I lost the TOC files? I'm not all that experienced in data recovery and I was hoping to find someone here that knew more about this sort of thing and could maybe give me a clue as to a program that could read part of a CD if for example you did ruin your TOC file.

I was reading up on some programs for data recovery...the one that got me thinking this might be possible mentioned overridding window's proticals for opening and reading external drives (CDs, floppys, etc...) but I don't want to pay for something I have no clue if it will work. I tried the FinalData Premium 2.0 trial version and didn't have any luck.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Murphy's Law says that if a CD is damaged even just a little bit, the damaged portion will be right on the part of the disc that renders the whole thing useless. As you say, the TOC.

Having said that, check this out:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-35

But if the tools mentioned there don't work, you may have no option but to give up on the disk.