Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

wakipaki3

wakipaki3

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hi. i've been at this computer for over 2 weeks trying to fix this computer....i have a ibm netvista 2251 vau pentium 3...with windows ME...if that helps....greyknight recommened me that i come here...since my computers sofware was clean....the only time my computer does't freeze is when i have a scan running...like mcafee or registry mechanic....i heard my comp might have a leakage problem but i couldn't spot any....though i do have some bent "watertower" looking things....i haven't installed any new hardware....so can you help me? if theres something i left out sry...

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi wakipaki3!

Windows ME is notorious for it's memory leaks. That's why I used that operating system for a total of 3 days before upgrading to 2000. I could let my computer just sit there idle for 15 minutes and I would come back and it would be frozen.

My best advice for you is to get rid of Windows ME because it is a total piece of garbage.

Fenor

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

i heard my comp might have a leakage problem but i couldn't spot any....though i do have some bent "watertower" looking

The "watertower" things you speak of are called capacitors, don't worry if they appear bent, the reason you have heard they could leak is because computers in that era had problems with capacitors bulging or leaking when the motherboard war about go bad.

Do any of the capacitors look bulged?

You mentioned that the only time my computer does't freeze is when i have a scan running...like mcafee or registry mechanic could you please be more specific as to what you are doing when the freeze occurs.

Could you please run memtest86 and report back you findings, I was going to post a link but I can't seem to be able to do that tonite for some reason so just google it, run the floppy version.

Rick

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Here's the link to Memtest86

Directions taken directly from the site:

Windows Installation

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 October 2005 - 08:34 AM.

wakipaki3

wakipaki3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
hey...i did the memtest. i did three passes and no errors. However i thought i might screw around with some stuff....and instead of bios-std i picked bios-all....and it was wierd.....thousands of errors started to appear and then it would halt due to unexplainable event and then it would restart, unless i did the test wrong. none of the capictors look bulged... those were my findings.

Edited by wakipaki3, 23 October 2005 - 12:26 PM.

wakipaki3

wakipaki3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
You guys can close this topic I got rid of the computer a while ago. Thanks for the suggestions though! Nearly 5 years!