Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting via vonage in Almaty, KZ

• Please log in to reply

anitam

anitam

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi,

So, i am trying to connect to my family using the vonage box for internet telephony. Once i set it up with the cable modem going to the vonage box ( CISCO ATA 186) and the phone line going from the vonage box to the phone, i am able to get a dial-tone and dial out. However the voice quality especially my voice to my family seems to be so bad they can't really tell what i am saying. Is there anything i can do to improve the voice quality both ways? thanks so much in advance,

anita

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. This is an issue you need to take up with Vonage. One of the short comings of VOIP is that voice packets are given the same treatment as data, which affects the quality of voice, which is "real time" sensitive, where as data is not. In my own home installation, I have cable tv, cable modem (data) and local phone service all on the same coax. My service provider provides all of these services and gives phone (vioce) priority treatment. Because of this, I hear no difference in the quality of my phone service now then when it was provided over the competitor's copper wire. My local calls and long distance calls are the same quality.

Take this up with Vonage. They are selling a service that probably goes over someone else's network (like maybe Comcast or some other cable tv/cable modem service provider). I would be interested in knowing what solution they can provide, since I know they are now marketing that same type of service here on my local cable system. Let me know what they have to say!

Edited by austin_o, 23 October 2005 - 07:09 AM.