Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

volcar

volcar

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Folks,
I am the owner of a Gateway Performance 733 with a Intel 733MHz Pentium Processor & 512MB Ram. I am presently contemplating upgrading my system; however, I am not certain of the process to take. As a consequence I am using this medium to obtain assistance as to what will be the most cost effective way to proceed. Is it cheaper to upgrade my existing by replacing the motherboard & CPU, (if so what motherboard & CPU is most suitable for my application) or should I just purchase a Dell or another Gateway PC. All suggestions & or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What do you use the computer for?

If its just internet access and the odd bit of word processing (with no intensive heavy gaming) then that system is fine as it is.

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks for the prompt response. I use it for buisness, internet access and a lot of Cad drawing etc.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well cheaper would to be to start fresh and build yourself a nice new pc to give you enough power for the modern CAD applications. Easier would be a Dell. CPU wise you would want a p4 to make use of hyperthreading in the CAD apps(assuming they are the newer versions and use hyperthreading), i am always a big fan of AMD but they are more geared to the home user so for business the p4s have the edge.