Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer

• Please log in to reply

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello to all here. Setting up a new pc with a chaintech ct-7njl6 mobo. System starts but shuts down in seconds. Twice it ran for 2 minutes got to setting up the drives and down she goes. Bios reports 1 beep correct cpu, ram, hds, fsb, etc. Fans run just keeps going off. Any ideas as to whats wrong.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Bilbo!

Is the PSU used or new? And what is the wattage of the PSU?

Fenor

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor psu is new. Rated at 400 watts

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try unplugging everything except the fans and the keyboard and mouse and then turn it on and see if you can get to the SETUP screen for the bios. Once there, just let it sit there a couple minutes to see if it will stay on or shut off like it has been doing.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also only use the onboard video, not an AGP/PCI video card if at all possible while doing what I mentioned above.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 October 2005 - 02:57 PM.

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Fenor I will give it a try

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor

Its been running about 10 minutes now sitting at the bios screen, not a burp. I have no onboard video. I unplugged floppy drive, two maxtor hds on ata controller 1, memorex dvd-rw on ata controller 2. Had to leave Nvida xfx card in agp. So you are thinking this is a power supply problem? I have built several systems before all with abit mobos. This kind of problem is beyond me. Thanks again for the help.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What you need to do now is just plug in just ONE hard drive on the primary IDE channel, making sure the hard drive is jumpered to be a MASTER. Also hook up just ONE CD-ROM drive in the secondary IDE channel jumpered as MASTER as well. Then boot up your computer into the bios again and see if it shuts off immediately again like it used to do or not.

Post back how things are going after doing this. We will just go one step at a time and try to figure out what could be causing the problem.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 October 2005 - 04:35 PM.

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor

I did as you instructed. I tried to reply but the forums were down. As soon as I plugged in slave drive on ide 1 she turned off. I replaced the round antec ide cable with a ribbon cabla and the comp has not gone down since. I quess we found the problem. Thanks Fenor for the help. You are the Man, One other question if you don't mind. While booting the comp wants to configure the realtek lan feature. Can I wait until I have loaded winxp to do that? Thanks again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It is trying to boot from the network drive. You should be able to go into the BIOS and disable NETWORK from your boot order. Or at least put it after the CD-ROM, Floppy and Hard drive; that way it wont do that each time you boot up. Now I'm taking about the BOOT ORDER, so don't go disabling the onboard lan or anything like that. :tazz:

Fenor

Bilbo

Bilbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Fenor

Thanks again for all the help. I was able to disable the network from boot.

Bilbo