Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 95...please help!

• Please log in to reply

andrew12345

andrew12345

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
my laptops OS is windows 95. it used to work but now it doesnt, when i turn it on it says 'please insert system disk'. i hav tried downloading boot disks off the internet to use. but these all end up with needing a cdrom, BUT MY LAPTOP HAS NO CDROM DRIVE!!!! is there any way i can install win95 and get it to work again without a cdrom? thanx :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unless you have Win95 on floppy, you're a bit stuffed basically.

Anyway the boot disks don't NEED a CDRom but they all come with CD drivers as standard, which is the main reason why you use bootdisks really, to get access to a CD Unit at a command prompt.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi andrew12345...

Been a while since I've done this, but try this.

Restart with the startup disk (bootdisk) in the drive. If you get an options screen , press the Shift key and F5 at the same time to get the command prompt (A:\)...(It may go directly to the command prompt depending on what version bootdisk you have). At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk/mbr and press enter. When this process is complete, remove the startup disk and reboot.

Note...if that command doesn't work, add a space between fdisk and /mbr fdisk /mbr

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 October 2005 - 12:26 AM.

andrew12345

andrew12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi, thanks for tryin to help. when i typed that thing it said 'the master boot code has NOT been updated'. i tried doing it with the space and the response was the same. what should i do now? thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
andrew12345

If the fdisk/mbr command wouldn't run, chances are that this one won't either, but you can still give it a try.

Restart with the startup disk (bootdisk) in the drive. If you get an options screen , press the Shift key and F5 at the same time to get the command prompt (A:\)...(It may go directly to the command prompt depending on what version bootdisk you have). At the A:\ prompt, type C: and press enter. At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scandisk and press enter. When this process is complete, remove the startup disk and reboot.

wannabe1