Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse lockups and Comp Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Inevitable

Inevitable

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've just encoutered a problem that I've had for about a week.

I'm a hardcore gamer and I need these problems fixed!

Ingame or out, I seem to have this problem with my mouse, Logitech MX518. It would stop working for about a second, that beeping sound goes off when your computer detects new hardware. And then about 5 seconds later it will happen again. Sometimes it gets so bad my mouse totally stops functioning. I've had both the drivers installed and uninstalled...

My second problem. when I'm in a game I seem to lagout, when the game freezes and the last second of sound plays over and over and over again. Sometimes the sound will stop and about 10 seconds later the game will resume like nothing happened, or sometimes my computer will crashes to a BSOD screen which says something about a nvidia file. And it restarts. My video card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 6600.

PLEASE help me!

-Inevitable

Edited by Inevitable, 23 October 2005 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Inevitable! Welcome to G2G!

Have you updated your video card drivers lately? I would also recommend that you update your chipset drivers as well. If you don't know how to do either of these let me know and I can help you.

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Video card drivers are up to date. You'd need to tell me how to update my chipset drivers. Thanks!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets do something else first. When you say you uninstalled/reinstalled your mouse software, did you use the CD that came with your mouse or did you download the latest version of the software from the internet? If you used the CD, what does it say for the software name and version number of the software on the cd. Like setpoint v2.14 or whatever.

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded it off the logitech site. Version is 2.46. I had these problems with and w/o the drivers.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, now for your chipset drivers. Download, install and run Everest Home Edition using the link in my signature. Once it's installed, run a system scan and post the results as an attachment in your next post.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 October 2005 - 08:15 PM.

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Attached.

Attached Files

Edited by Inevitable, 23 October 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download and install the Via Hyperion 4in1 chipset drivers for yoru KT400 motherboard chipset.

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Done, should this fix both of my problems?

EDIT: I still seem to have problems with my mouse. Could this be a malware problem?

Edited by Inevitable, 23 October 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Your mouse is a USB mouse, maybe try plugging it into another USB port, preferably not one that is directly left or right of the current usb port it's plugged into because they are both part of the same usb hub. Try using a usba port that is either above or below it or somewhere else on your system. But make sure that it's a USB 2.0 port. You will get a message if you happen to plug it into a non-usb 2.0 port.

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've used both USB and the mouse serial port. Seems to work better in the serial port. I've got an attachment to put on so I can fit it in the serial port that came with the mouse.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would run the malware self-help tools located [url=http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Read_This_Before_Posting_A_Hijackthis_Log-t2852.html[/url] and see if there is something that is causing your mouse to act up. Post back after doing this and let me know how things are going. I have some other ideas to try, but it's a good idea to check your comp for malware regularly anyways, so lets let you do that and then move on.

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After several scans and different programs, I was able to take off some malware.

My mouse is still acting up.

We shall continue!

EDIT: It seems that it was the mouse itself. I tried it on another comp. And it was acting up the same way like on my comp. So I'm using a ball mouse at the moment til I can get another one. Thanks for fixing my video card problem!

Thanks Fenor, Your awesome!

-Inevitable

Edited by Inevitable, 23 October 2005 - 10:46 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to see everything is working fine again for you. Sorry you have to replace the mouse, but that's the cheapest possible piece of hardware that can go bad on your computer. :tazz:

Fenor

Inevitable

Inevitable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
True, but thanks again!