Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Epson perfection 1650 scanner install

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm going to try and do as the title says, but I'm not too sure how to go about it.

I have an old scanner that I used with an iMac, but now want to install on my pc [running win2000 SP4]. I have lost my install CD-ROM that came with the scanner though. I have been told it's possible to dl a twain driver from the epson site and then use photoshop instead of the software on the CD-ROM.

I just want to know if I only need to install the TWAIN Driver v5.71A (Rev.F) from the link above and then hook the scanner up with the USB cable and away I go? Or is there something else I need to install or do first? Sorry for my reticence here, just don't want to break anything. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I did this with an Epson Perfection 250 and I like the twain drivers better than the ones from the disk, they are more professsional and give more options. The software on the disk is very flashy, and puts four annoying shortcuts on the desktop and isn't as flexible. And I'm using Irfanview as my editor. It works fine too.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm not sure if the Twain driver I installed was the right one. :tazz: I used TWAIN Driver v5.54A from the link above. I made sure the scanner wasn't connected while installing, all other programs were off, and I did a restart before connecting the scanner. The new hardware pop-up appeared and I was able to use photoshop's File>import>Twain 5.0 alright. Problem is whenever I do a scan the pc crashes completely. A blank screen, nothing works, ctrl,alt,del, nothing. I have to force a reboot with the little button under the dvd drive. I checked the Device manager on the off-chance, and there's no yellow warning exclaimation marks.

What am I missing here? I don't know whether to try the other Twain driver [TWAIN Driver v5.71A - Rev.F], because it says

This file contains the Epson TWAIN Driver v5.71A (Rev.F). This driver allows Epson Perfection Series Scanner and the Epson Stylus CX3200/5200 to work on the same computer. If your Perfection scanner stops working after installing the Stylus CX3200/5200

I don't know what Stylus CX3200/5200 is though, and I'm not sure if it's installed! :)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It seems that the Stylus is one of those printer/scanner/copier all-in-one deals. So that's that cleared up. Wasn't necessary though because I have got the scan to complete without the pc crashing by lowering the resolution. It was from trying to scan a full A4 sheet at a high res like 300dpi that caused the crashes. It works fine now once I keep the res below about 220dpi. :)

Thanks again Tyger. :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Good to hear that it's working. If you need to do bigger scans you might think about adding some RAM to your system. What happens is when you run out of memory the scan should start loading into the hard drive, which will slow things down greatly. If it still tries to load into RAM instead, the system will crash or freeze.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
How do I tell what sort of RAM is available on my machine now? I'm running win2000(sp4) btw. Also how do you add RAM? Any links with illustrations or descriptions of the correct procedure would be appreciated. :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

How do I tell what sort of RAM is available on my machine now? I'm running win2000(sp4) btw. Also how do you add RAM? Any links with illustrations or descriptions of the correct procedure would be appreciated. :tazz:

If you have an OEM machine just go to the maker's website and plug your model into search. They will have tutorials on installing ram and will tell you what kind you need.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Can you explain what you mean by 'OEM machine' plz? :tazz: