Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton and Ad-aware are stuck plz help

• Please log in to reply

Robleh

Robleh

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello, I've had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to fix it. I own a Norton anti-virus 2005 copy but lately everytime I try to do a system scan, it gets stuck at a certain file and doesn't continue the scan. I mean it says "scanning" but I've waited for hours without it moving. The file where it seems to get stuck is C:\Documents and Settings\username\local settings\Temp\Temporaryinternetfiles\content.ie5\5H8Q9TN1 . I hope I got the address correct! Anyways, I located the file and tried deleting the file manually but everytime I try, I get a windows error message. I downloaded Ad-aware SE but it gets stuck at the same place!!! I've seen some spyware signs too. So plz help me.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools then internet options then advanced, look through the list and put a tick in empty temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up then disc defragmenter

If no change

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
But I don't understand how defragment is going to help me? Is is not some kind of virus that's blocking my anti-virus's?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's just a check to make sure the file system is not all over the disc

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
All right thanks, I'll give a kick and get back to you.

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK, Disc clean up doesn't seem to work. i've tried multiple times, but everytime, after a while a windows error message comes up but i tried the defragmentation, it worked just fine. So what's next, Keith?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did the tune up disc clean up stall also

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i deleted mine..norten sucks..l o l download mozzila for a good internet browser with out the need of spyware or antivirus

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, it got stuck too at exactily the same file I told you earier but before it did a small tuneup window opened which said: "access violation at address 00E1AA8D. Read of address 00000000" But I'm afraid of running the registry cleanup since it's warning me of system changes and I would rather not screw up anything if it's not going to help me. So what do you think Keith?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310353

Part one to run clean boot then see if you can do something with the file

Part three is about returning to normal start up

If you run registry clean up it will not remove anything until you press start cleaning, it might be worth seeing if there are a lot of errors

Robleh

Robleh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I ran the registry clean up but nothing changed. And I don't think the link you're showing me is gonna help me because I don't think it has to do with cleaning up my disc. Besides it seems really complicated and I don't know much about computers!!! So I guess there's no way of fixing this problem... :) :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An access denied error is usually caused by the system using the file you are trying to remove, clean booting would have loaded XP very minimally and the file might not have been in use

Please go here: Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Hopefully Hijack This will show the reason for the file being in use

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If it is a temporary internet file stored in Temporary internet folder you should be able to delete it without worrying. All the files in this folder can be safely deleted, hence the "temporary" in their definition. Go to Edit > select all, and delete the entire content of this folder. See if there is anything left after that.

If the file is still there download Killbox. It's a powerful tool for deleting these hard to remove files.