Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Question

• Please log in to reply

redghost

redghost

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi everyone

I want to do a system restore on my comptuer (currently running xp). Currently my system restore is disabled, i found this out when i tried doing it from command prompt through safe mode, the problem is there's a problem which is preventing from access my system restore in normal mode, so there's no way for me to enable it. I was wondering, is there a way to enable and execute system restore if you don't have access to enable it through normal?

THanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi redghost!

Have you checked to see if the System Restore Service is set to automatic? Find this out by going to START-->RUN and type in services.msc. Scroll down the list until you get to System Restore Service. Make sure it's STARTUP TYPE is set to automatic.

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I assume you were using this command

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

?

You can manually do some of it by following the directions here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

But that is not actually a system restore. Just part of it. What is your goal here?

redghost

redghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
see my desktop and taskbar is completely frozen from start up. so i can't access my control panel, start up menu etc.... same goes in safemode. when I booted up in safemode with cmdprompt, I tried %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe to launch system restore, but it prompted me saying system restore is disabled. Since I can't enable it through the typical way because of my frozen desktop and taskbar, i was wondering if their is a way to enable system restore through cmd prompt.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if system restore is disabled then y ou don't have any restore points to restore to because when you turn off system restore it removes all of your restore points....therefore....if you do turn system restore on...you won't have anything to restore to...you should probably try to do a repair installation of windows..

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP