Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I NEED HELP RECOVERING FILES

• Please log in to reply

untouchable.

untouchable.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 computers, one of my computers wont start so i have to install windows on it again, but before i reformat it i need to salvage some files that i had on the main drive, i took out the drive and put it on my second computer as a slave, but the files i need are in my documents, and when i try to go to "documents and settings/user" i get a messege that says "F:\Documents and settings\User is not accessible. Access denied" is there a way i can go into this folder to retrieve my files?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi untouchable! Welcome to G2G!

Win XP installs itself with the "Use simple file sharing" option. What you need to do is deselect this. To do so, go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Double click on FOLDER OPTIONS. Click on the VIEW tab. and towards the button of the list in the box below the heading ADVANCED SETTINGS, uncheck the box next to USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING (RECOMMENDED)

Then do the following, where file/folder is the folder or file you can't access, in this case it would be the DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS folder.
  • Right-click the file/folder and select PROPERTIES
  • Go to the Security Tab and then click the ADVANCED button.
  • Make sure your user account stay in the "Owner" menu. Then click "Ok" and again "Ok".
  • Repeat Step 1
  • Go again to the SECURITY tab and add your user account name in the GROUP OR USERS NAME field, and select FULL CONTROL on the field below.
  • Press OK and that's all.
Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 October 2005 - 09:35 PM.

untouchable.

untouchable.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
wow that worked perfectly, thanks alot!