1) I live in Michigan
2) My girlfriend lives in North Carolina
3) I have extensive usage of NT/2k/XP but NOT Millennium
4) She is a very bright girl but has no serious computer troubleshooting experience
5) When starting Windows ME, her background image will show up, but none of the icons, task bar....etc
6) The system worked fine until last evening (Wednesday Jan 12th)
Troubleshooting so far:
1) The last software added to the machine was on Thursday Jan 5th. (Ad-Aware 6)
2) In addition to a current Ad-Aware 6 (and Ad-Watch 3), she has McAfee Virus and Firewall (also updated to current)
3) No other software was installed (with the potential exception of automatic Windows Updates)
4) Right click on desktop to bring up the properties menu...nothing happens. This, in addition to the lack of icons and taskbar, leads me to believe that the system gets "hung up" before these objects are created
5) Unlike my familiar NT/2k/XP, ME does not list all processes when you Ctrl/Alt/Del....it only lists a few running apps. I have had her End Task on all these apps, hoping to terminate the stalled process, to no avail.
6) I have had her "restore" back to days before the issue first came up, to no avail. (System Restore is such a weak substitute for ghosting......IMHO)
7) She can get into safe mode, but the Internet does not function (therefore, no downloads of HijackThis or anything of that nature)
8) The last scan with AdAware and McAfee was earlier today and nothing odd was found.
I am very computer literate so I can handle (remotely via my GF....ikes!) any request that you make in helping to debug.
Can you help me help my girl? It would be a shame that I have all these resources and can't even use them on this sweet teacher gal!
Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!