Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading movies from camera to laptop

• Please log in to reply

oceanauk

oceanauk

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a Sony DSC-H1 camera which records movies in mpeg format in either fine or standard mode. When I use the fine mode and download to my laptop the movies play fine but when I then burn the movies to CDR they will not play either on my laptop or on my DVD player - the movie is slightly choppy (although the picture quality is great) and the sound is distorted. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the way the movie is recorded on the camera - unfortunately I cannot find any details on this either! Thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

If the movies play fine after being transferred to the laptop, then it's unlikely to be a problem with the camera. I would suspect the problem is either the software you are using to burn them to CD, the speed at which you are burning the cds is too high or there is some issue with the playback from the CD when watching the movies.

Have you tried watching any of the movies you have burnt to CD on another computer?

oceanauk

oceanauk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Samm

Thanks for your response. I have not tried the disk on another computer, only my dvd player and it is doing exactly the same thing, ie playing the movie really choppy with distorted sound. I recorded the disk at a much slower speed, 4x, and today I copied the movie from the disk back to my computer and guess what? It played just fine. Does this indicate what the problem could be? Is there software out there that can tell me how the movie is made up, eg fps rate etc? Just so I could get an idea of how the mpeg movie is being recorded on my camera. Thanks again for your response! Jackie

oceanauk

oceanauk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've just found out something else! I can play the movies on my disk via RealPlayer without any problem, so it seems to be playback on both my DVD player and Windows Media (version10). !!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That would seem to be the problem then! You may need to download an updated or different codec for Media Player maybe

oceanauk

oceanauk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've tired to see if there are any updates for WM player but apparently I've got the most updated version!! Don't know how to get it to play on my DVD player though - that should play mpegs of any sort. Thank you for your help!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try the link below to download Media Player codec installation package. Apparently it supports WMP v9, v10 & WPM for XP.

http://www.softwarep...layercodec.html